Understanding Euromaidan

Started by Thorin, January 27, 2014, 02:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

There are massive protests going on in the Ukraine, and they've been going since late November.  I didn't really understand why or what they're protesting about, as most news has been heavily blacked out and only stuff posted on alternative news sites on the internet has been getting through.

Then I came across this informative article: http://www.businessinsider.com/understanding-euromaidan-2014-1.  Interesting that just like in Egypt, the paramilitary forces have been deployed by the government and are beating people up (although not as bad as Tahrir Square), while the army has stood to the side and refused to enter any conflict with civilians.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It's really crazy too some of the photos and stuff circulating around that I have seen.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

There was an anti protest law passed recently, and it has now been annulled. And most of the government has resigned. The largest trigger I think was the deal the Ukraine made with Russia over the one everyone seemed to want with the EU. Russia threatened sanctions of sorts if they dealt with the EU..
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Confused about all the controversy and anger re. the Crimean "referendum" that was apparently 97% pro-Russia?

Just like the Quebec stupidity many years ago, this was terribad wording:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_referendum,_2014#Choices

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Not just terrible wording, but everyone who was against leaving, didn't vote.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on March 17, 2014, 03:44:18 PM
Not just terrible wording, but everyone who was against leaving, didn't vote.

"Do you want to be annexed by Russia, or be under Ukraine but not in the present way?" ummm what about staying the same -- not a choice, then I won't vote! :(

Mr. Analog

It's confusing enough on the outside, imagine it on the inside, with a warped state-run media and then word of mouth
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Not to mention the Armed soldiers and militia roving about.

Mr. Analog

The Republic of Crimea has declared independence from Ukraine and will join the Russian Federation

Sanctions have been declared by both the US and EU on Ukrainian / Russian officials

Putin becomes more bold
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Apparently they breached the Crimean border into Russia to seize a gas valve station. Of course
it was several days ago, and not really reported on much.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 18, 2014, 09:03:12 AM
The Republic of Crimea has declared independence from Ukraine and will join the Russian Federation

Sanctions have been declared by both the US and EU on Ukrainian / Russian officials

Putin becomes more bold

According to the rhetoric of John Kerry, Steven Harper, etc. the "declaration" is against international law, and the referendum it is based on was only legal if the entire population of Ukraine took part -- hence the sanctions.

Putin has always been bold, he should really put a shirt on more often (based on Jon Stewart's recurring jokes).

Tom

It would have been better if the options included staying. With the vote so clearly rigged I can't really believe the results are valid.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on March 18, 2014, 11:01:42 AM
It would have been better if the options included staying. With the vote so clearly rigged I can't really believe the results are valid.

Those who were anti-annexation who stayed home in protest are now regretting it, methinks.

Mr. Analog

...or if they had come out would they have met with the Spetsnaz units deployed in Ukraine

http://www.examiner.com/article/russian-spetsnaz-arrested-ukraine

Though more likely they were functioning as agent provocateur to try to incite violent rioting which would justify more foreign involvement
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

...several Russians dressed black uniforms with no insignia, armed with AKS-74 assault rifles and in possession of numerous ID cards under various names...

So laughable that Putin or his PR folks tried to claim they were local militia who were most certainly not placed there by Russian orders or anything... Even Jon Stewart called BS on that.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 18, 2014, 09:03:12 AM
Putin becomes more bold

# of @%&#s given: нулевой!

edit: so he's given a speech pressing on with annexation; here we go farther down the rabbit hole.

Mr. Putin said he did not seek to divide Ukraine any further, but vowed that he would protect Russia?s national security from what he described as Western, and particularly American, actions that had left Russia feeling cornered... He spoke as he has often in the past of the humiliations Russia has suffered in a world with one dominant superpower...

more emotion-tugging and hand0-washing and chest-beating, along with empty-threat responses by most of the G8 leadership, here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/19/world/europe/ukraine.html