Lazybones

my Old Speed on vADSL with LightSpeed 100

New results with Telus PureFibre 300/300

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on December 14, 2018, 03:41:49 PM
my Old Speed on vADSL with LightSpeed 100

New results with Telus PureFibre 300/300

/envy
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

My investment in good WiFi APs also gets some use out of this. My phone and most of the mobile devices in the house are hitting 300/300 even wirelessly.

Lazybones

Bonus tech upgrade, Telus supports IPv6.

After tweaking my router config my client devices have IPv6 support.

Now I just need to learn how to safely do that for my servers.

Mr. Analog

Nice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-bundles/1.5-gigabit-internet

Telus is now offering 1,500 Mbps download and 940 Mbps upload in some areas.

QuoteMaximum speeds require optimal network conditions on a wired connection. Internet access speeds may vary depending on location, usage within the home network, internet traffic, user device capability, applicable network management or server configurations. Maximum aggregate download speed is 1,500 Mbps. Maximum speeds are not achievable using a single device. Concurrent data streams may be required to access maximum speeds (i.e. 3 or more devices running at 500 Mbps each at the same time).

Still have the 300/300 and RARELY max it out, hell I barely get it up to 250 for more than 15 min.

Melbosa

And I still can't get fiber in my area :(
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on June 16, 2020, 12:13:50 AMAnd I still can't get fiber in my area :(
Well if I had to move to the boonies it looks like SpaceX StarLink could do over 600mbit or a minimum of 100/20 potentially.

Tom

Telus won't even put decent DSL out here, let alone fiber. Sigh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

No fibre here, either.  The best Telus offers me is 75Mbit download / 15Mbit upload / unlimited data for $105/month ($60/month for first two years).  Shaw gives me 300/15/unlimited for $110/month ($100/month for two years).  I have had Telus before, and my experiences when service was out were not good (took a couple of days to fix each time).  Sure, I'd save some money to get way slower download speeds, but I don't like the idea of internet out for more than a day...

I'm still humming and hahhing about getting both and setting up my router with dual WAN so that if one service drops out I still have the other.  I really don't like no internet...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 17, 2020, 12:21:23 PMNo fibre here, either.  The best Telus offers me is 75Mbit download / 15Mbit upload / unlimited data for $105/month ($60/month for first two years).  Shaw gives me 300/15/unlimited for $110/month ($100/month for two years).  I have had Telus before, and my experiences when service was out were not good (took a couple of days to fix each time).  Sure, I'd save some money to get way slower download speeds, but I don't like the idea of internet out for more than a day...

I'm still humming and hahhing about getting both and setting up my router with dual WAN so that if one service drops out I still have the other.  I really don't like no internet...
If backup is what you are looking for I would look into LTE options. I wouldn't pay for adsl as a backup to cable at home.  With some cell plans you could probably have a shared Data SIM on standby for as low as 5-10/mo.

Also reliability wise fibre tends to be on the reliable side. Hopefully Telus and Shaw continue to expand their residential Fibre.  They clearly start in higher density areas and work their way out.

Lazybones

As an FYI it appears Telus has formalized / updated its port blocking policies since I was hooked up.

Port 80 and port 443 are nolonger blocked..

A listing of blocked ports can be found here:
https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/telus-hsia-security-measures-policy

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

So my two year old contract promos where about to end so I called in to see what I could do about it as my bill was about to JUMP by about 50% in Dec/Jan otherwise.

After some back and forth with retentions I no longer have PikTV (we watched HGTV once and a while rarely) but now I have the PureFibre 1Gig plan with unlimited data.

Looks like my monthly cost will increase by about $5/mo.