Nintendo Discontinuing Wi-Fi for DS, DSi and Wii in May

Started by Mr. Analog, February 28, 2014, 04:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Nintendo is going to shut down Wi-Fi on the DS, DSi and Wii in May, this means some games and apps will no longer work or not have all features.

I'm not sure if it will continue working if you disable the feature update...

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/services-update.jsp
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Regardless if you manage to hold the update, they are shutting down their Wii/DS game servers. So no matter what, online portions of games will not work.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Hopefully Wi-Fi file transfers still work otherwise I'll have to buy more SD cards for my KORG DS apps so I can transfer muh beats
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So does this mean you can't play Mario Kart Wii against online friends anymore?

Not that we spent a lot of time online with our Wii anyways...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on March 02, 2014, 11:06:55 PM

Not that we spent a lot of time online with our Wii anyways...
Pretty much. No more online games at all for the Wii or DS.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on March 02, 2014, 11:06:55 PM

My daughters sadly shared this news with me on the weekend ... my older daughter was especially sad because she just recently bought a DS so she could play her old games that she still had :(

But MY concern was, if you have a classic Wii (i.e. not a Wii-Mini) then will WiiWare* still be available to download indie games etc.? :-\

*update: looks like probably:
Quote from: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/services-update.jsp
Games and Systems Impacted:
Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games that use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service, will no longer have access to the features listed above. This includes Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games played on Nintendo 3DS family systems

Notes:
Only online features for games using the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service are impacted. Other online functionality on Wii and Nintendo DS, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are not affected at this time. Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games played on Nintendo 3DS family systems). [ details ]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.