Main Menu

Flower Farm

Started by LennyLen, August 07, 2022, 05:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

I found a neat build for a flower farm, so I built one in a flower forest not too far from the item farm. It produces 6 different types of flower which can be used for red, yellow, blue, white, orange and light grey dye.

The farm operates in two modes, which are toggled by a switch. When the farm is turned on, the redstone lamp will turn off and the pistons will activate pushing the grass blocks back and forth as the bonemeal is dispensed. When the farm is turned off, the lamp turns on, and water is flushed over the grass blocks to push the flowers into the hoppers and chests.

It produces flowers really quickly. The following is the result of two 5-minute runs (which is the longest it can run before flowers start despawning):

It does take a while for all the flowers to make their way from the hoppers to the storage chests however, though if you are in a hurry for one particular flower, you could just manually grab them out of the hoppers.

The farm does take quite a bit of bonemeal to run, so it's a good idea to stop off at the item farm first to stock up on some.  The farm does have a recycling system though, where any unwanted seeds can be composted and turned back into bonemeal.

There is no access yet via portal, but I will add it at some point.

Some pics:

Mr. Analog

That is beyond cool! I've never even heard of a flower farm!
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 07, 2022, 06:31:42 AMThat is beyond cool! I've never even heard of a flower farm!

I hadn't thought of one either.  It came as a suggested watch on YouTube, and I had just earlier been thinking of dyes for sheep so I watched it and liked the build.  The only modification I added (apart from adding a room around it to wait in safely) was a layer of blocks one block above the grass blocks to stop double height grass from spawning, which increases the chance of flowers spawning.

I just did a run to see how much bonemeal the farm consumes, and it's roughly 2 stacks of bonemeal per minute the farm is running.

LennyLen

Perhaps due to being in a flower forest biome, there were a lot of bees nests near the flower farm. So I started up a primitive honey/honeycomb production system as well next to the farm.

edit: forgot to add...

The beehives are accessible from outside, which is useful if you only want to collect honey as you don't have to go inside.  You will need to go in if you want to harvest honeycomb.

update:

I decided 16 hives was a more sensible number:

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

The flower farm is now connected to the portal network.