Trading Hall Open + Iron Farm

Started by LennyLen, August 25, 2022, 03:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I brewed up a few splash potions of harming and threw them through a hole I made in the roof.  Then it was just a matter of finding a good angle where I could shoot down without getting hit by their potions.  That was mostly successful, and I had enough buckets of milk to take care of the times I did get hit.

LennyLen

I've added a crafting station to one end of the hall, with a chest behind it with spare anvils and iron for making more.

I've also added signs that show which enchantments the librarians are offering.  If a librarian doesn't have a sign, then don't trade with it yet as I haven't decided what to do with them for now and am saving them for future use. Not all the librarians are at expert yet, so if you unlock a new trade, please adjust the sign so they're all up to date.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

That's pretty cool, man.  I might just go over with some books and use your farm.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

LennyLen

I decided that 40 traders wasn't quite enough so I've expanded again, and now have an additional 12 fletchers (for tipped arrows), 12 librarians, 3 farmers, 6 weapon smiths (they trade for iron which I have tons of), and 7 still unassigned workers, making a total of 80 traders in all.

I might stop now.  We'll see.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I've been making frustrating progress on the tipped arrows front.  So far I've trained up six fletchers to master level, with no good results.  One didn't offer tipped arrows and the other five were all affects that would be beneficial to the target.

I think I'll have to kill a lot of them and start again.  The trick will be doing it without being seen by the other traders.

Lazybones

Quote from: LennyLen on September 03, 2022, 04:35:14 PMI've been making frustrating progress on the tipped arrows front.  So far I've trained up six fletchers to master level, with no good results.  One didn't offer tipped arrows and the other five were all affects that would be beneficial to the target.

I think I'll have to kill a lot of them and start again.  The trick will be doing it without being seen by the other traders.

Getting specific final trades is hard and frustrating.. I would typically do the trading and murdering in another room before moving them to the main hall to avoid negative murder effects.

However there are also ways to setup the hall to break the line of sight for the other villagers that also works. Or just drop them down through a hole then murder them under the floor.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on September 03, 2022, 06:02:58 PMOr just drop them down through a hole then murder them under the floor.

This is actually an appealing solution as I was thinking about hollowing out the are under the trading hall to build extra melon and pumpkin farms.

edit:

There's enough space that I can put in six 11x11 farms that will have an output of 12 times my current melon output.  I'll make it predominantly melons as all my farmers trade melons but only a couple trade pumpkins.

LennyLen

So far now, I've got two farms that are complete and have plants that have grown to full stage, plus two farms that are complete but the plants are still growing, and just have two more to complete.

It's pretty slow going as I have had to harvest stone and wood for each one I build, and each farm needs about 450 stone and about 1000 wood. There's a fair bit of iron involved as well, but I have plenty of that and all the other materials required.

The two completed farms produce enough melon slices for about four stacks of melons.  After finishing the first two I did some further reading and discovered you can pretty much double the efficiency of the farm by alternating pumpkin and melon seeds in each farm, so I'm doing that for the final four.  If the efficiency bonus is indeed double what I have now, they should still produce the same amount of melon slices plus get pumpkins as well.

I'm going to test the two I've built this way before I build the next two, to see if the theory works in practice.

Lazybones

Quote from: LennyLen on September 04, 2022, 08:47:53 PMI'm going to test the two I've built this way before I build the next two, to see if the theory works in practice.

Yes alternating them increases efficiency substantially.. Would have to dig up the video but I did that in my previous farms.

Same goes for using bees in carrot potato farms but you need to do it in a way that doesn't cause the bees to be in the way as you found out.

There are a lot of odd efficiency things in minecraft.

LennyLen

I waited until all the plants in the new farms were mature then did a one-hour test. These are the results:

Melons Only

Mixed Melons and Pumpkins

Based on those results there was no improvement at all in efficiency from switching from all of one crop to having a mixed crop.

My farm is laid out like this:

edit: I just found the comment I'd read again, and I'd misread it originally, and thought it said to put them diagonally, but it was to not put them diagonally, so I'm going to have to go back and replant my seeds.

Lazybones

Looking it up I was wrong, it is just the spacing that is important not alternating for melons. I swear one of the crops it is more efficient to alternate but now I can't remember which.