Trading Hall Open + Iron Farm

Started by LennyLen, August 25, 2022, 03:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

I've finished my trading hall.  It consists of 20 traders, covering every profession.  The initial 10 that I started with are all at Expert or Master level, and the new 10 I just added are still novices.

I've marked it as a point of interest on the map, and I'll add it to the portal network in the next few days.

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I bred quite a few more villagers than I needed for the trading hall, so I've added an iron farm to the island as well.

Mr. Analog

This island must be surrounded by Illagers hahaha
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 25, 2022, 07:06:23 PMThis island must be surrounded by Illagers hahaha

My illager-proofing seems to be working.  I've had the setup running for several in game days and haven't had any patrols spawn.

I still have more villagers left over, so I think I'll build an automatic carrot farm next.

Mr. Analog

I'll have to check it out when I'm online again
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: LennyLen on August 25, 2022, 07:17:41 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 25, 2022, 07:06:23 PMThis island must be surrounded by Illagers hahaha

My illager-proofing seems to be working.  I've had the setup running for several in game days and haven't had any patrols spawn.

I still have more villagers left over, so I think I'll build an automatic carrot farm next.
Automated Mellon / pumpkin farms are also useful to generate emeralds trading with the farmers.

Bees can make automated carrot farms more efficient as well.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on August 25, 2022, 09:51:02 PM
Quote from: LennyLen on August 25, 2022, 07:17:41 PM

Automated Mellon / pumpkin farms are also useful to generate emeralds trading with the farmers.

Bees can make automated carrot farms more efficient as well.

None of my traders trade for pumpkins, but I can probably squeeze some melon farms in to the space left on the island.

The carrot farm is working well enough for me at this point, but if I do want to improve it, I do have beehives.

LennyLen

The iron farm is doing better than what I was expecting from such a basic design.  This is the output from roughly half a day:

If anyone wants villagers, I've still got plenty.  I needed to breed one more to finish the carrot farm, and I forgot to turn the breeder off afterwards, so now I have about 30.

LennyLen

As well as the farmers, some other good trades to obtain emeralds are the fletcher, who will trade sticks, which can be easily obtained at the witch farm, and string, which can be easily obtained at the item farm.  While at the item farm, or if you're at the drowned/xp farm, also pick up rotted flesh, which the clerics will trade for.

The iron farm is also a good source for making compasses which can be traded at the cartographer.

There are a number of sugar canes plants all around the island as well, which can be used to make paper to trade with the cartographer and librarians.

edit: One of the clerics also trades for glass bottles which also can be obtained from the witch farm.

LennyLen

Quote from: LennyLen on August 26, 2022, 03:16:33 PMThe carrot farm is working well enough for me at this point, but if I do want to improve it, I do have beehives.

I decided to add some bees anyway, but they don't work with this farm design, as it relies on the farmer throwing food to another villager through a gap. For some reason, the bees mostly get attracted to this gap instead of the flowers, so very little pollinating gets done. On top of that, with all the bees clogging up the gap, the farmer can't get in so the farm stops working.

LennyLen

The trading hall after being upgraded:

LennyLen

The trading hall island is now connected to the portal network.

LennyLen

So it appears the roof of my villager storage area was slightly too low to protect from lightning strikes, so they all got turned to witches.

That was fun to fix.