Wireless shenanigans

Started by Mr. Analog, August 27, 2022, 01:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So tonight I was finally frustrated enough by my wireless to download an analysis tool and take a look at what was going on and turns out my connection was only 2.4 GHz and on a very busy channel. So I took a look at my router configuration and I had both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs set to the same thing, all my devices were connected to the 2.4 GHz SSID.

So I renamed that slow ass SSID to something else and set the 5 GHz channel to the only one with no other routers on and now my connection is magically delicious

Why didn't I do this before? *sigh*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 27, 2022, 01:46:48 AMSo tonight I was finally frustrated enough by my wireless to download an analysis tool and take a look at what was going on and turns out my connection was only 2.4 GHz and on a very busy channel. So I took a look at my router configuration and I had both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs set to the same thing, all my devices were connected to the 2.4 GHz SSID.

So I renamed that slow ass SSID to something else and set the 5 GHz channel to the only one with no other routers on and now my connection is magically delicious

Joys of Wireless channels and apartment blocks/multitenant buildings. So may wireless aps, so little channels and bandwidths...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on August 29, 2022, 11:52:32 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 27, 2022, 01:46:48 AMSo tonight I was finally frustrated enough by my wireless to download an analysis tool and take a look at what was going on and turns out my connection was only 2.4 GHz and on a very busy channel. So I took a look at my router configuration and I had both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs set to the same thing, all my devices were connected to the 2.4 GHz SSID.

Joys of Wireless channels and apartment blocks/multitenant buildings. So may wireless aps, so little channels and bandwidths...

Amazingly I'm the only one on the channel I picked, everyone else is clogged on their system default channels
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2022, 12:19:20 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on August 29, 2022, 11:52:32 AM

Amazingly I'm the only one on the channel I picked, everyone else is clogged on their system default channels
Good find then :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!