Main Menu

Upgrade time.

Started by LennyLen, August 26, 2022, 07:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

Now that I have better access to enchantments through traders, I spent some time upgrading my gear, which had been neglected for a while.

I now have the following tools and weapons:

They are:

Netherite Pickaxe Blockslayer
Efficiency V
Unbreaking III
Fortune III
Mending

Diamond Pickaxe
Efficiency IV
Unbreaking III
Silk Touch
Mending

Diamond Shovel
Diamond Axe
Diamond Hoe

Efficiency IV
Unbreaking III
Fortune III
Mending

Diamond Sword
Sharpness IV
Sweeping edge III
Looting III
Mending

Bow
Power V
Unbreaking III
Infinity
Flame

Shield
Unbreaking III
Mending

The armour:

Diamond Helmet
Aqua Affinity
Respiration III
Unbreaking III
Mending

Diamond Chestplate
Projectile Protection IV
Unbreaking III
Mending

Diamond Leggings
Protection III
Unbreaking III
Mending

Diamond Boots
Projectile Protection II
Unbreaking III
Depth Strider III
Mending

The armour is geared towards the upcoming ocean monument raid.

I'm planning a major expansion of the trading hall, which will add another 20 traders, at least half of which I want to make librarians, so I can guarantee specific enchantments and craft different sets of armour for different activities.

Then I'll craft a fire/blast protection set that I'll use to do more netherite mining.  I used 14 blocks of TNT to get enough ancient debris to make one netherite ignot, and I have about eight stacks of TNT left, so I should be able to get enough netherite ignots to upgrade all my weapons and tools and some armour to netherite versions.

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Somehow, I managed to lose Blockslayer.  I'm guessing I accidentally pressed the drop item key (I had it remapped to M to try to avoid that happening) without noticing, and it despawned before I could get it back.

So I had to reforge it again, which actually wasn't that difficult, and in the brief foray I made to the nether to get ancient debris, I managed to get enough to upgrade my sword to netherite as well.

Netherite Sword Darkthorn
Sharpness V
Sweeping edge III
Looting III
Mending
Unbreaking III
Knockback II

edit: Upgraded Darkthorn further
edit2: upgraded again

LennyLen

Some new additions to the Netherite lineup:

Netherite Sword Carnage
Smite V
Sweeping Edge III
Looting III
Unbreaking III
Mending
Knockback II

Netherite Pickaxe Nimblefingers
Efficiency V
Unbreaking III
Silk Touch
Mending

edit: added knockback to the swords

Thorin

That's insane how easy you can upgrade now.  How do you get the Mending enchantments?  Just keep trading with the villagers until someone offers one?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 28, 2022, 11:16:48 AMThat's insane how easy you can upgrade now.  How do you get the Mending enchantments?  Just keep trading with the villagers until someone offers one?

You keep upgrading the trading with a librarian till you find one that gives it, then you always have a librarian that has it.

The other option is fishing but as noted in another thread that method has low output.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on August 28, 2022, 11:33:13 AMYou keep upgrading the trading with a librarian till you find one that gives it, then you always have a librarian that has it.

To expand on this... initially, if you take the villager's workstation (in this case lectern) away, and put it back down, this makes them offer different trades, so you just keep doing that until they give you what you want.  As soon as you do one trade with them, their trades are locked in permanently.

I now have 23 librarians, so I can get quite a few different guaranteed trades.  With a pretty much unlimited supply of emeralds thanks to the carrot and melon farms, I can get whatever enchantments I want. I can even get enchanted diamond armour, weapons and tools from the traders and wipe them with a grindstone so I don't even need to mine diamond any more.  The only other thing needed is books and experience, and the XP farm takes care of the latter.

LennyLen

Some remarks after using the upgraded items for a bit of time:

Netherite - it's best use is bragging rights. The extra amount of damage or mining time that the netherite upgrade offers isn't that much, and in my experience wasn't even noticeable. The major factor really when it comes to damage/mining speed is what enchantment you're using.  Netherite does offer a good durability boost, but this is pretty irrelevant if you have an XP farm and...

Mending - which is now my definite choice for best enchantment ever.  I don't know why I never used it up until now, but it's definitively a game changer.  With it, your items are immortal, unless you lose them, and the amount XP required to mend them is way less than the amount of XP needed to repair them with an anvil (plus there's the resource cost of repairing). And you don't have to worry about recrafting items once they become too expensive to repair.

Mr. Analog

Mending is pretty amazing. I found an enchanted book in a dungeon and stuck it on my uber sword, it's going to last forever haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have to agree with mending I had it on all my gear on the last world.. Only down side is if you get a lot of things damaged you will sucking up a lot of XP. You won't have any for any other XP related things.

Picks almost earn enough XP to stay repaired if you are hitting enough ores.. It really extends mining time at least.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on September 02, 2022, 09:57:14 AMOnly down side is if you get a lot of things damaged you will sucking up a lot of XP. You won't have any for any other XP related things.

I've been mitigating this by making visits to my XP farm fairly regularly so that it doesn't take too long to mend everything.  just one five-minute session a day was enough for when I was mostly building things, and just now after enough mining to reduce Nimblefingers to about 50%, and with some other damage to Blockslayerand my shovel, it took just under ten minutes to mend everything. The drowned farm also produces a lot of rotted flesh, so while I'm mending, I pick up enough to trade with clerics.