behind the scenes of YouTube monetization

Started by Thorin, August 31, 2023, 11:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

This guy does a really interesting breakdown of what happens and how it happens, when you get monetized at YouTube:

https://youtu.be/u3qDxUEIvw8?si=vCpctHtjLc5cD4_i

Kinda amazing how much one can make once the channel takes off.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Can confirm. A few years ago when I qualified for monetization I made a few hundred bucks from a single video. As I was starting to make more YouTube changed the rules and I would have had to work a lot harder to build up my number of subscribers to qualify again
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

That is the down side, as soon as you understand the rules they change them. Having followed several channels for many years some disappeared due to the rule changes of what gets promoted.

For example Minecraft videos became the TOP type of video when the Algorithm favored long content with long viewing time.. IE LetsPlay videos that where super long.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 31, 2023, 03:22:02 PMSo what does The Algorithm favour now?

The last two big things whas "fresh content" hence daily posting.. and recently shorts where extremely promoted.

Mr. Analog

Yeah for a while Shorts were what was getting all the promotion. I don't know what's hot now, I suspect that it's balanced back to videos roughly 45 minutes long because that's what I see promoted the most now.
By Grabthar's Hammer