Man gets stuck in the "balls" sculpture

Started by Mr. Analog, April 11, 2023, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I think this is the first time I've seen them in forever but this is both hilarious and tragic

https://globalnews.ca/news/9613003/man-trapped-inside-edmonton-talus-dome/
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

So is the lesson don't climb on a strangers balls?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

And then he was charged with mischief over $5,000, which has a maximum prison sentence of 10 years, for _climbing on some stainless steel_.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

"I was climbing on top to take a picture"... yeah sure you were.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

There's no signs saying don't climb it, there's no fence suggesting it shouldn't be touched, it's made of strong steel, how's it any different than climbing up a small hill or onto a playset at a playground or onto a dinosaur statue in Drumheller?  Mischief requires willful (intentional) damage, it'll be easy for him to claim he had no intention of damaging something made of steel by climbing it.  Trying to give someone a criminal record for climbing on something sturdy is ridiculous.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Well there is a sign there but it only has information from the City of Edmonton Arts Council about the sculpture.

I'm absolutely sure that a warning sign will go up after this though
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on April 11, 2023, 06:10:53 PMThere's no signs saying don't climb it, there's no fence suggesting it shouldn't be touched, it's made of strong steel, how's it any different than climbing up a small hill or onto a playset at a playground or onto a dinosaur statue in Drumheller?  Mischief requires willful (intentional) damage, it'll be easy for him to claim he had no intention of damaging something made of steel by climbing it.  Trying to give someone a criminal record for climbing on something sturdy is ridiculous.
If I implied that I was saying he should be charged, I am not. I am saying, though, I doubt the claim of taking a picture from on top if it.

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 11, 2023, 08:33:10 PMWell there is a sign there but it only has information from the City of Edmonton Arts Council about the sculpture.

I'm absolutely sure that a warning sign will go up after this though
I bet there will be now too.

Lazybones

So there is a public structure that essentially could trap a full grown man? Where is this thing? Could kids fall into it and get trapped?

Yes a full grown man should know better but if the structure is inescapable when you fall in from the top it is probably a danger to curious kids that don't know better. Kind of like open wells / sink holes / open sewer access.

We have regulations on how far apart bars are allowed on stair rails so kids don't get their heads stuck.. Would maybe think that applied to the public art that it doesn't pose an hazard.

Mr. Analog

When it comes to public art there aren't a lot of rules
By Grabthar's Hammer