Cave Crawl II: Electric Boogaloo

Started by Mr. Analog, September 13, 2012, 03:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Always keep your ender chest on you? :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Problem is that you have to place it to access it, and once you place it you need a Silk Touch pick to pick it back up.  A regular pick breaks it into less than the total parts needed.  I think it makes more sense to just have a few ender chests dotted around the map that we can use to access our global inventory.

Or we could just build skyrails with powered carts and storage carts to send materiel around.  Hmm, 1,500 block long skyrail...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 22, 2012, 09:59:55 PM
Problem is that you have to place it to access it, and once you place it you need a Silk Touch pick to pick it back up.  A regular pick breaks it into less than the total parts needed.  I think it makes more sense to just have a few ender chests dotted around the map that we can use to access our global inventory.

Or we could just build skyrails with powered carts and storage carts to send materiel around.  Hmm, 1,500 block long skyrail...
To get that to work you'd have to have people standing around keeping chunks loaded.

If we really want shared storage, we might want to look at the EnderStorage mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU9X2N1vMps

Its basically the inspiration for the current ender chests. Just better IMO. Though it doesn't have /forced/ private storage, you can always use vanilla ender chests for that.

Thorin

Hey, I suggested EnderStorage before and you shot it down :P  http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,8808.msg61401.html#msg61401  Of course it turned into a discussion about portals instead of EnderStorage, but that's how it goes here.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 22, 2012, 10:58:50 PM
Hey, I suggested EnderStorage before and you shot it down :P  http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,8808.msg61401.html#msg61401  Of course it turned into a discussion about portals instead of EnderStorage, but that's how it goes here.
I can't see where I shot the idea down :p

I do see Mr. A shooting it down, and Melbosa making a good point. The only real problems I see with adding (client+server) mods are:

1. Delay between vanilla and mod releases
2. Annoyance caused by having to deal with installing the mod on all clients (shared drop box folder with all mods In of?)
3. Extra server maintenance, caused by having to deal with block and item ids. They may change from version to version, and things will break spectacularly when it isn't properly dealt with.

Basically we'd have to start maintaining our own mod pack.

Thorin

Huh, yeah, you're right, it was Mr. A. shooting it down.  I should read more and work from memory less.

Anyway, ender chests at everyone's base and at the railway stations would work well enough for me.  That's gonna be a good 20+ chests, though, so we'll be making use of Pants's blaze farm to get some blaze rods.  I think we have a bunch of ender pearls at the Taj Moo Hal already.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

My opinion has changed somewhat since then as releases have been coming out with a long lead time now (rather than just dropped into the wild and having the mod community play catch up). Vanilla does keep things rolling fast though and there's a lot to be said about that, but there are so many features that I would love to see from various mods, like the EnderChest mod. Like we were talking at Edmonton Expo about how so many ideas make it into the game from mods and then do it in a less interesting/useful way. I mean I think the way Ender Chests work is all right if you are on a server where people are more like rivals that way you have a safe of sorts where you can pick stuff out any time you like, but it takes away long distance trading which on our ever sprawling map is very very useful.

Transport via rail wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the intrinsic problems with transporting over unloaded chunks, basically someone is going to have to sit in a cart while furnace carts push a train of storage carts, it's doable but likely boring for the "engineer".

Also we would have to map out major build locations that need to be linked by rails, so if we set up stations that are mostly in straight lines it conserves the amount of resources we need to use.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

EnderStorage would be the best.  We could make little houses, put "[ Usamot Post Office ]" signs on them, put an EnderStorage chest there and then a regular chest stocked with dyes, and then we could actually "mail" things to each other at the post office using specific colour codes.  We could assign specific codes to specific people and record that in a book and put the book in the regular chest.  We could also put a vanilla ender chest at each post office so we can get to our own global inventory.

Post offices near people's bases make sense.  Vanilla ender chests at the major subway/railway stations make sense.

I think we should seriously consider setting up the Usamot Postal Service :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I saw in some videos, where each user got their own prefix colors. Started with their own starting colour, but I think we're already to the point where we'll have to assign two colours as a prefix, so each person would get 16 separate assigned enderchest codes, starting with the two that were assigned to them. So like all of Mr. A's could start with Green Green  >:D

Thorin

I'd have to figure out how many colours there are total before I'll agree that we reserve starting colours for certain players.  Just look at IPv4 and how some large blocks of addresses have been set aside and are not fully utilized while other people can't get an IP address!  I wouldn't want that problem to happen on our server...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 23, 2012, 11:30:15 AM
I'd have to figure out how many colours there are total before I'll agree that we reserve starting colours for certain players.  Just look at IPv4 and how some large blocks of addresses have been set aside and are not fully utilized while other people can't get an IP address!  I wouldn't want that problem to happen on our server...
There are 16 colours. Each chest is assigned three colours. If a user was assigned a prefix of two colours, that leaves each user with 16 colours, and we'd have 256 separate prefix combinations to assign to people.

Thorin

Okay, so Mr. Analog said he's got a ton of Eyes of Ender so he'll make some ender chests.  We're planning to make all the post offices look the same so that people can see it's a post office without having to read a sign.  We're planning to use red brick blocks, so I'm going to don my diving helmet (aqua affinity or something on it) and go dig up a bunch of clay now.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Mr. Analog, I've put almost 22 stacks of brick blocks in one of the chests at the Taj Moo Hal.  Hopefully that's enough to build some post offices :)  I suppose we still need to figure out the actual look and layout of said post offices, though.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful