Main Menu

Upgrade to 1.4

Started by Tom, October 26, 2012, 05:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 04, 2012, 05:06:04 PM
MCEdit will probably be a lot easier.  Please back up the map and ask people to check their builds still exist after you do it.
I was planning on setting up a temporary server with the "new" map.

Quote from: Thorin on November 04, 2012, 05:06:04 PM
You're not altering the Nether, right?
I don't really see a need to. It's nowhere near as abused. map is still pretty small.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Is the idea that we check the map at first and then it gets moved over to the regular location?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

What's going on? I'm confused?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 05, 2012, 05:48:38 AM
Bukkit released a beta for 1.4.2, so we can probably move to that. I just need to not feel like @%&# ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 05, 2012, 09:26:47 AM
Bukkit released a beta for 1.4.2, so we can probably move to that. I just need to not feel like @%&# ;)

No I meant about the new map??
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 05, 2012, 09:28:27 AM

I meant new as in the updated map.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 05, 2012, 10:29:57 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 05, 2012, 09:28:27 AM

I meant new as in the updated map.

Ah, okay, just being clear :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So this conversation sorta happened in the photo thread.  We're back to wanting vanilla Minecraft, at least client-side, so that we can move to newer versions quicker, right?

And Tom, what can we bribe you with to get you to do the mapwork and then the upgrade? :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 14, 2012, 12:05:18 PM
So this conversation sorta happened in the photo thread.  We're back to wanting vanilla Minecraft, at least client-side, so that we can move to newer versions quicker, right?

And Tom, what can we bribe you with to get you to do the mapwork and then the upgrade? :)
More time, and less work. ;)

I'll try and work on it soon here. But if the rest of the week is anything like yesterday and today... well, yeah...

Thorin

Ha ha more time...  I'll trade ya schedules for a week if ya like?

Friday
I took Friday off, so got up at 0830
0900-1300 drive to game, coach, drive to restaurant
1300-1630 eat with team at restaurant, drive to rink, hang out waiting for next game
1630-2000 coach next game, drive home

Saturday
Up at 0615
0630-1030 drive to game, coach, drive home
1400-1530 drive to game, watch (for once not coaching)
1530-2100 drive to game (drop one at a different rink), coach, drive home (picking up other one on the way)

Sunday
get to sleep in
1145-1445 drive to practice, coach, drive home
1600-1830 drive to game, watch kid ref, drive home
1930-2330 drive to game, coach, drive home
2330-0030 answer sports emails

Monday
Up at 0445
0515-0830 drive to game, coach, drive to Timmy's
0830-0930 hang out at Timmy's, get bored, return to rink
0930-1045 hang out at the rink bored
1045-1430 coach, drive home
1630-1930 drive to game, coach, drive home
1930-2345 drive to game, coach, drive home
2345 0045 answer sports emails

I will admit that this weekend had more games than usual.  It was the super-early times that almost killed me, and thank god CowGirl wasn't working so she could also do some driving (the above is only what I did).

Oh, and I tried to catch up on work on Saturday and Monday night as well.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

If it helps, I put in 12:30h yesterday and 13:30h today. Monday and Tuesday I spend most of the time fixing bugs. Some of them were pretty serious and hard to find. A few were serious but /stupid/ PEBKAC type bugs.

It gives me a massive headache. The app deals with a lot of concurrent tasks. It's annoying as all heck getting things working properly. Doesn't help that anything that accesses the UI has to be run from the main thread or things just don't work, crash horribly or worse, sort of works.

Tomorrow I intend to put in just as much time, just so I have time to finish up the most important tasks, and also finish up some tweaks. I have this perfectionist streak when it comes to apps I'm working on. What is annoying is I don't always/usually have the time to be a perfectionist.

I should say that I would be absolutely slogged with only 4-6 hours of sleep a night. I get increasingly tired/exhausted if I consistently get 8 hours sleep a night. I /have/ to have time to wind down, so I can get to sleep, and then time to sleep so I can get up and work. Otherwise I would not find it possible to work at all. This isn't just an excuse, its reality for me.

However, I am finding it gradually easier to manage this work thing. Can you believe I've had this job 9 months already? Soon it'll be a year. Longest I've ever been able to hold a job. No joke.

Mr. Analog

Thorin I think it matters that you signed up for that schedule :P

But yeah get the server up when you can just keep us posted. It was down last time I checked (Sunday I think?)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

12+ hours per day is nothing to sneeze at Tom, I get why you say you haven't found the time / energy to do the upgrade.  I mistakenly assumed you were limiting yourself to 7-8 hours per day.

The server was up yesterday night - I know because I built a tree farm and started a big underground mine at the Taj Moo Hal.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 15, 2012, 08:50:04 AM
Thorin I think it matters that you signed up for that schedule :P

But yeah get the server up when you can just keep us posted. It was down last time I checked (Sunday I think?)
I haven't seen any downtime myself. It's possible the internets went out.

Quote from: Thorin on November 15, 2012, 09:17:37 AM
12+ hours per day is nothing to sneeze at Tom, I get why you say you haven't found the time / energy to do the upgrade.  I mistakenly assumed you were limiting yourself to 7-8 hours per day.
Normally I do. But I really wanted to get the last few things in, as well as stabilizing a /@%&# ton/ of new code that went in. The kind of code you can't really test properly till its all in place. Well a proper test setup would have helped there a bit for the framework bits. I gotta finish reading my TDD book :-x

So yeah, spent 8+ on monday, 12:30 on tuesday, 13:30 yesterday, and going on 6:15h right now. But I got the main tasks done. So I'm having a bit of a break while I wait to hear from the boss (he has a fresh build, no doubt he'll find something I didn't).

Got 6 hours sleep last night. I am effing tired. Had I let myself sleep in though, I wouldn't have likely gotten everything done early enough in the day for people to test.

Now, even when I do limit myself to 8hrs a day, I have a very very hard time getting anything else done. After 8 hours or so my brain is a bit fried. Not to mention, my "issues" tend to make me averse to do things. Something I've been working on. I need an incredible amount of motivation to get things done. Turns out, most of the time, a steady job @ $40/hr is motivation enough :D Also I like being less bored during the day. I often find myself wanting to work on the weekend just because I'm so god damned bored. But I try not to, as I may burn myself out if I work too much.

Mr. Analog

I've been struggling with that for a while, just getting motivated to do ANYTHING after work has been a challenge. I started taking vitamins again and its helping.

One thing I know I was missing was Vitamin D, so I got some Cod Liver Oil with Vitamin D (you have to check the label) and its making a big difference.

I felt like I was getting SAD symptoms mid-October...
By Grabthar's Hammer