Upgrade to 1.4

Started by Tom, October 26, 2012, 05:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 15, 2012, 02:29:53 PM
I've been struggling with that for a while, just getting motivated to do ANYTHING after work has been a challenge. I started taking vitamins again and its helping.

One thing I know I was missing was Vitamin D, so I got some Cod Liver Oil with Vitamin D (you have to check the label) and its making a big difference.

I felt like I was getting SAD symptoms mid-October...
Yeah, SAD sucks. Due to things and stuff, most of the time I'm already in a depressed state. Chronic Depression ftl. Add to that BiPolar and SAD, well I get to have fun.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yepp, it sure sucks, but sometimes just gotta drag yourself out.

I'm in the process myself.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 15, 2012, 02:44:42 PM
Yepp, it sure sucks, but sometimes just gotta drag yourself out.

I'm in the process myself.
Yeah. I'm still doing a lot more than I ever used to. I mean @%&#, I've not had a paycheck in the past while that wasn't higher than my "agreed" amount.  This week I'm already at 46hrs out of the 32 I agreed to when I started the job. Last month was 161hrs, which is pretty much a normal week day for the average person, which is 4 days (32hrs) extra for me. At 101hrs already this month. So yeah, I may actually be able to pull this off ;D

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

40+ hours in 4 days.  Maybe it's time to take a three day weekend?

I know that feeling of just wanting to continue on and power through, especially if it's actually interesting and challenging work.

Maybe do what Mr. A does, set a little schedule for work hours and play hours, and during the play hours make sure to do something fun.

Also, your rich now.  Enjoy it.  Call up a friend and meet up for supper or go bowling or something.  Find a non-electronic hobby like woodcarving, buy some tools, and have some fun with it.  It's too easy as a techie to sit behind a screen all day (computer, video game, tv), it's good to do something non-techie.  And if you call a friend and they say they're busy, don't despair just call another one.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 15, 2012, 03:05:56 PM
You can do it man!
All night long.

Quote from: Thorin on November 15, 2012, 03:34:17 PM
40+ hours in 4 days.  Maybe it's time to take a three day weekend?
Heh. I am rather tired. But the boss has a build, which seems to work rather well for a preview release. It needs some tweaks, but its demoable imo.

I know that feeling of just wanting to continue on and power through, especially if it's actually interesting and challenging work.
Just about anything is more interesting than sitting on my butt avoiding doing the other things I need to get done. And things I want to do, but "don't feel like it".

Maybe do what Mr. A does, set a little schedule for work hours and play hours, and during the play hours make sure to do something fun.
Yeah, though I really don't feel like doing much of anything in my off hours. Its frustrating >:( which makes me anxious which makes me frustrated, which makes me angry... which makes me depressed... *cough*

Also, your rich now.  Enjoy it.  Call up a friend and meet up for supper or go bowling or something.  Find a non-electronic hobby like woodcarving, buy some tools, and have some fun with it.  It's too easy as a techie to sit behind a screen all day (computer, video game, tv), it's good to do something non-techie.  And if you call a friend and they say they're busy, don't despair just call another one.
I have a $1-2k vet bill coming up. I'm tapped for a few weeks.

But yeah, I'm up for stuff if people want to do stuff. Probably not tonight ;D

Mr. Analog

Man, I know those feels, that's why I took time off art stuff, I was just opening Photoshop and then watching Star Trek instead of doing what I was "supposed to".

It's helped taking a break from things and not worrying about it.

I've been fairly busy on the weekends though lately so that's been keeping me out of trouble I guess lol

...actually that reminds me...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

So funny story. My time tracker shows 78 hours for the past 8 days. woah. That is 2.4 times as much as a normal bare bones week.  Crazy.

I can tell you I would quickly burn out if i had to keep this pace up. but then this week i didn't feel nearly as stressed as i did the last time.

Thorin

Holy Carp!

That's a lot of time in one week...  It was also considered just barely above average at Upside.  And I can totally understand that feeling of burnout, and also that feeling of not being stressed due to accomplishing something.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 17, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
Holy Carp!

(img)

That's a lot of time in one week...  It was also considered just barely above average at Upside.  And I can totally understand that feeling of burnout, and also that feeling of not being stressed due to accomplishing something.
Thats probably most of it. The last time I spent this much time, nothing visible really got done. I was incredibly unhappy with the old code, and spent much of that time working on new code, that wasn't working at all, or properly at all till just recently. I got it working early this week. I was very very pleased with how well it worked. Still am. Absolute @%&# load of initial work, that didn't work /at all/ initially. I spent just as much time debugging and tweaking the code as I did initially writing it. Fun times.

Mr. Analog

Man, that's a great feeling isn't it! :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 17, 2012, 01:15:38 PM
Man, that's a great feeling isn't it! :D
I can't tell you how long I was in a super good mood because of it. Days at any rate. It worked as well as I had hoped it would. It can still use some work. I skipped some optimizations that are pretty important on a mobile platform, but this isn't for a proper release, and I didn't have the time to make those changes /and/ test them properly. It makes (quite) a few unnecessary network connections.

Thorin

Don't write off when you do a whole bunch of work and it's all background code - it's the background code that usually enables the really good visible code (UI etc).

An' yeah, I love those days where you finish something that took a long time and then it works really well.

We should be having this discussion in another thread so that those that ignore the Minecraft forum would still see it :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful