Overlords. Robuts. Just a matter of time.

Started by Darren Dirt, November 29, 2010, 03:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

:lol:

Well, there's only one solution: Lazoons!

I know of at least one that will be able to make the robots lose their minds, at least according to the historical tapes.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

That's what the radio pixies in your teeth want you to think...

Also video wouldn't play, I blame robots
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 07, 2012, 11:35:05 AM
http://www.cracked.com/video_18400_why-scariest-sci-fi-robot-uprising-has-already-begun.html

Just a quick FYI.

Summary: Bunch of tools sit around fake-nerding about what kind of robot will lead the ro-pocalypse.  And their answer is "the internet".  Whoever wrote the script for this video needs to spend at least a day learning about how artificial intelligence really works.  I mean, c'mon, if we follow that line of reasoning, it was our adoption of writing things down on stone tablets that spelled humanity's end.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Pfft, robots can't take over anyway, computers took over in 1970.

Unless they are sexy robots, then we're screwed on many levels simultaneously...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 07, 2012, 02:21:23 PM
Quote from: Thorin on May 07, 2012, 01:37:24 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 07, 2012, 11:35:05 AM
http://www.cracked.com/video_18400_why-scariest-sci-fi-robot-uprising-has-already-begun.html

Just a quick FYI.

Summary: Bunch of toolsCRACKED WRITERS sit around fakemeta-nerding about what kind of robot will lead the ro-pocalypse.

just another quick FYI/FYP.

No, they were clearly faux-nerding it up. IT Crowd is meta-nerding, Cracked is pandering to nerd wannabies who don't know what an XKCD is or why they'd visit a Penny Arcade:

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

If they could explain to me what is going on in this XKCD, I might believe they're nerds.  Or at least, if they tried looking it up and spent a couple hours reading online OS docs:

source: http://xkcd.com/981/

But no, this was a clearly-scripted attempt at being clever about the "automated" life we now live.  The basic premise was that we have stopped learning facts and have started letting the "internet" (and by that they're talking about pretty much anything automated, not just the transmission protocol, but really their premise should be based on the World Wide Web as they mostly talk about "all those facts online") store our knowledge.  But that exact same premise can be used to explain how books have caused the Downfall Of Man.  Which they haven't.  We've just developed another tool that old people who were around when it was first introduced (like us) think is Amazing Technology.

Really, did your kids stop learning just because they were born after the World Wide Web came into existence?  Mine didn't.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Nerds love loops, particularly if they only have one side
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones