Minecraft Overviewer

Started by Thorin, March 28, 2012, 05:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I miss the Overviewer :(  Do you need to upgrade the VM to be able to run Overviewer on it as well?  If so, how much would it cost you?  I'm willing to pitch in for it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I think the issue is that the most current overviewer no longer supports 1.5 so Tom wants to upgrade the server first then Overviewer if I understand correctly.

Tom

I'll probably stick with the current overviewer if I get time/drive to get it back up and running. I have my doubts as to how well it'll run on the current vm along side minecraft itself. I'll try it, but I have my suspicions that I'll have to rig something up locally to run overviewer here, and sync it back up.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Well all I'm saying is don't be afraid to get a bigger, better, faster VM if you need it. Given how much time I spend on the server, I'm happy to throw ten or twenty bucks a month your way to cover costs.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I don't know that that is the best solution. Its mainly a cpu issue, and overviewer performs best with more cores. I have my quadcore here that can work on it, and a "new" dual quad 2u box I picked up for $200 that could probably more than half the time. All it'll add doing it locally is a couple rsync jobs.

Lazybones

Cloud->local-backup->generate static Overviewer tiles->upload to host.

Is the plan unlimited bandwidth?

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on August 05, 2013, 11:29:12 PM
Cloud->local-backup->generate static Overviewer tiles->upload to host.

Is the plan unlimited bandwidth?
As unlimited as it gets. 2TB/mo for the vm on a GbE connection. my home connection gets me 500GB/mo+.

The mc map itself is pretty small per change. the overviewer tiles are quite a bit larger. shouldn't be a huge issue though.

Tom

Overviewer is back up.

Interesting note, the overviewer dir is 9GB in size. took 4 hours to upload the initial map. crazy.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So does the overviewer update regularly again?  What's the length of the update cycle, ie how long do I have to wait before advertising a new build?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on August 16, 2013, 12:54:04 AM
So does the overviewer update regularly again?  What's the length of the update cycle, ie how long do I have to wait before advertising a new build?

I suspect Tom is doing it manually right now.  He has to pull the latest map down from the cloud and run overviewer on it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It should be auto updating every couple hours.

I just tweaked (half rewrote) the existing cron job.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 16, 2013, 03:37:39 PM
It should be auto updating every couple hours.

I just tweaked (half rewrote) the existing cron job.

Thanks man!
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

It still doesn't appear to be updating.