No Man's Sky

Started by Mr. Analog, August 12, 2016, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Even with the massive bubble pop, I'm still so very tempted to play. I'm sure I could get many hours out of it.

I didn't follow the game at all since one of the E3 presentations where I first heard about it. So I'm not really expecting what most people are.

I'm mostly scared about performance and the potential for something in the game play to discourage me.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

In the end I'm sure Hello Games just bit off more than they could chew and Sony's influence probably changed things.

Did hear that it was initially supposed to be a native pc game but it seems it uses a bunch of Sony tools lol.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

All I wanted out of the game was exploring the vast universe and cataloging things, everything is SO JANKY I can barely play it

I'm going to try it again soon with a controller and hopefully get a better starting planet. If I'm going to play a game where I have to grind everything I'd rather go back to Starbound

Starbound is actually relaxing, No Man's Sky is just constant stress
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

The game is supposed to get a major fix patch within a week and there is hint of a second patch in the works with maybe more.

If you are only out to explore and catalog then the game has lots of that. I still plan on putting more hours into it but I am disappointed with several functions that appear to be missing or have not yet been discovered. More major things like faction standing mattering, and more space combat than just random pirates.

Also no matter how lifeless ALL  planets have seemingly the same distribution of the core resources, as well as the generated structures making them much less distinct... I suspect this was done to prevent players from finding nothing or getting stranded, but there are other ways that could have been handled.

Mr. Analog

I think I may be a little too hard on it

I expected the first part to be a lot more magical and a lot less "survive your first night". I was hoping it would be like start out at a space station and set a course for a random planet and start exploring that way and gear up as you go
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 17, 2016, 09:41:03 AM

I expected the first part to be a lot more magical and a lot less "survive your first night". I was hoping it would be like start out at a space station and set a course for a random planet and start exploring that way and gear up as you go

If you delete your save and start the game, then end then start without going in and out of your ship it will not save and will put you on a different starting planet each time... If you find one without environmental damage it makes walking around to look for your initial repair supplies much easier.

Also you really only need to repair and fuel the thrusters to start exploring the planet with your ship.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 17, 2016, 10:38:06 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 17, 2016, 09:41:03 AM

If you delete your save and start the game, then end then start without going in and out of your ship it will not save and will put you on a different starting planet each time... If you find one without environmental damage it makes walking around to look for your initial repair supplies much easier.

Also you really only need to repair and fuel the thrusters to start exploring the planet with your ship.

Yeah I just followed some steps to remove my save state however I couldn't get it to de-sync with Steam cloud properly so I'm doing a re-install

I hate the UI as well, it's hard for me to read / use and the starting world I ended up playing on made it worse (it was all snow)

I'm going to take another stab at it, maybe tonight
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Barring the negative posts I have made, there is fun to be had in the game.. It is just they WAY over promised this one, and it does have issues with its core mechanics.

If anything it has made me more excited for Star Citizen and Squadron42, as I personally prefer having more mission based content and more detail in my vehicles and weapons.

Melbosa

Just wanted to know if worth the full price or if I should wait for sale/patches.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on August 17, 2016, 01:38:27 PM
Just wanted to know if worth the full price or if I should wait for sale/patches.

Patches and discounts.. Sounds like you might want to check it again in about two weeks unless you see a special sale.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on August 17, 2016, 01:38:27 PM

IMO wait for a sale or patches.

I'll try again, if I have more fun I'll post a vid
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on August 18, 2016, 03:58:49 PM
Works for me.

It's back now

FYI the patch has not landed yet, there is a big CAPCOM sale... a lot of games 40% off or more
By Grabthar's Hammer