[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market

Started by Lazybones, December 07, 2006, 06:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035&sectionId=1006

QuoteHigh street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

Mr. Analog

That is remarkably dumb! Why trade games at a reputable store when you'll just end up in some Chinese supermarket anyway?

DUMB DUMB DUMB!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Umm, what does that link point to?  It didn't do anything for me..
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Shayne

Wow.  I purchase a pretty good number of previously owned games.  I usually goes this way when its a game that I sorta want but the reviews are rather mixed (I've got Full Auto, Fight Night 3 and a couple others already for the 360 previously played).

Thorin

Okay, the tab to the left of the article says "second-hand news", the article is dated Wednesday 24 May 2006, and the article states the following near the end:

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

The very last thing is a picture from E3 with the following caption:

Above: While Sony revealed details of its PS3 online store at E3, it made no reference to a licensing system for next-gen software

To me, that seems more like Sony was going to do the licensing and then changed their mind.  Are there any newer sources than an article from over six months ago?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

TheDruid

Next they will use the license to stamp out rentals as well...

Again a classic example of Sony shooting themselves in the foot and pissing off the masses at the same time. I?m sure this is not the last we have heard of this one. Man I hate Sony!
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.