Full Screen 60 Hz - Borderless Window 165 Hz

Started by Mr. Analog, September 11, 2022, 01:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

ALSO weird: when I'm in game and running at 60 Hz and change my resolution to something else and then back to native resolution it goes to 165 Hz

I'm thinking this is a bug with Saint's Row the Third Remastered. couldn't figure out for the life of me why the refresh was so low, turns out you gotta do some funky stuff to make it work right
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Was curious what your context was.

Full screen modes normally have their own resolution / refresh rate setting in a game as they take over the screen, and sometimes require editing config files to change.

Windowed mode will use the OS desktop settings.

I have an ultra wide monitor so a number of older games have needed tweaking.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 11, 2022, 03:50:37 PMWas curious what your context was.

Full screen modes normally have their own resolution / refresh rate setting in a game as they take over the screen, and sometimes require editing config files to change.

Windowed mode will use the OS desktop settings.

I have an ultra wide monitor so a number of older games have needed tweaking.

Yeah, it's so weird that switching resolution and back magically grants me the right refresh rate, I wish it was just a config setting somewhere but this game has some kind of wacky optimization happening

I'll also tell you two things:

• Racing through the game on a motorcycle at top speed with buttery smooth framerate is pretty damn exhilarating, actually getting a rush from just barely hitting stuff
  • I don't know if the standard edition of the game was just easier or what but I totally suck

Had to turn the difficulty down as I was just getting demolished anytime I did anything. It's been a while since I played a proper twitchy game like this (mostly been playing Minecraft, retro and fighting games so m'yeah the ol' gun senses aren't exactly tingling anymore.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The game's res selector maybe is picking the wrong mode. Your screen will be giving a list of modes, at least two of which have the size you're looking for. Why switching out and back in would help I dunno. Could be the modes get sent in random order and it picks the first, or one code path forgets to set/check the right refresh? Weird regardless.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer