Started by Mr. Analog, March 16, 2012, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Post your fave Texture Packs!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Textures:

Steelfeathers' Enchanted Pack:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/steelfeathers-enchanted-pack-495371/

Mods:

TooManyItems Mod:
Absolutely the best for creative mode tinkering AND if you're a mod it makes some commands a breeze (like changing the time of day and whatnot):
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/140684-12512w15a-toomanyitems-in-game-invedit-apr-13/

Tools:

MCPatcher:
http://www.minecraftdl.com/tag/mcpatcher/

It really, really makes adding/removing Mods and Texture Packs EASY
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I use JourneyMap, and to load JourneyMap I use ModLoader.  haven't checked out MCPatcher yet, but ModLoader wasn't too hard to get running either.

TooManyItems Mod: "Fast transfer (single-player only): Hold shift while placing an item into a chest, or into your inventory from a chest, to transfer all items of the same type and combine stacks. (ConvenientInventory does this better, and TMI will use its functions if it is installed. Make sure to ONLY install ConvenientInventory.class)."  Good gravy, that would be handy!  I spend way too much time moving things into chests!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I'm using a Painterly texture pack.  You can choose between several options for pretty much every element of the game to tweak things just the way you want it.  Some of the effects it adds require MCPatcher.

Thorin

Texture Packs: Faithful32 and / or SimpleCraft, depending on how basic I want my blocks to look tonight.

Tools: MCPatcher to update the game to allow HD texture packs and nicer fonts.

Mods: ModLoader to load JourneyMap, JourneyMap to have a map of where I've been and where I'm going, Convenient Inventory to move items more quickly around my inventory and chests, and Zombe's Mod Pack.  This did take a bit of MC-whacking to get to work, copying files by hand into .jars and stuff, as Zombe's didn't seem to want to patch in nicely :(

Let me expand on Zombe's Mod Pack.  It has lots of things it can do; in SMP it can:
- Cheat: allows you to cheat by showing where mobs are, where ores are, see through solids, extinguish fires nearby, and see through others' eyes
- Cloud Control: move clouds higher or lower in your client (doesn't affect the server)
- Compass: shows where you are, and points to main spawn point
- Fly: lets you fly in SMP, I think
- World Info: gives all manner of useful information, like current position, in-game time, current biome, light level, weather, nearby players, and full details of item currently in hand
- Path Tracker: records a path that you've walked / traveled
- Sun Control: lets you stop, fast-forward, and rewind time in the game
- Spawn Highlighter: shows where mobs can spawn when it gets dark; you could figure this out manually by counting squares away from light levels, but it's automatic
- Wield: press a key to automatically switch to the first weapon in your hot bar (sword or bow); great if you just got surprised by six zombies and use your scroll wheel to get to your sword but scroll too far and find yourself beating zombies with bread

Of these, I use World Info, Spawn Highlighter, and Wield; these give me information easily at hand that I could look up otherwise, or in the case of Wield I could access by hitting the correct number key.  I tried Cheat Show Ores and Cheat See Through Solids for a day to see how well they worked, and they do work quite well.  It felt wrong, though; damn moralistic center!  I might end up using Sun Control, too, if I'm online alone, since I see that others are adjusting daylight to avoid night.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I'm thinking about including ChopTree on the server, what do you all think?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Oh, and as for mod's I'm currently using: OptiFine, and soon Convenient Inventory.

OptiFine makes it so minecraft is /mostly/ playable on my laptop. FPS is decent even with a bunch of settings cranked, except for some reason, with or without optifine turned on, some geometry/textures are completely missing from different object models (players or things like chests and carts). and its fairly random which bits go missing.

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on May 13, 2012, 08:06:33 PM

I kinda like that you have to work for taking down a tree... but that is my opinion.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on May 14, 2012, 08:09:20 AM
Quote from: Tom on May 13, 2012, 08:06:33 PM

I kinda like that you have to work for taking down a tree... but that is my opinion.

QuoteOr you can make that log blocks move down one by one instead - no more climbing trees.

this second option seems true to the effort in the normal game... Just having trees dump items after one block sounds imbalanced to the intent of the game.

Tom

Well its up to everyone. If you don't want it, that's fine.

Oh, and I also started using a new Launcher called MagicLauncher. It auto patches minecraft with your chosen mods. Made installing OptiFine a breeze.

Thorin

Found a new mod that seems to work really well: AutoSwitcher (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/753030-125-thebombzens-mods/).    It reads what block or item or entity you're left-clicking on, then switches to the correct tool / weapon to mine / kill that block / item / entity.  You can customize the rules so that it picks either the fastest, best tool or the worst tool able to mine (in other words, you can save your diamond and iron picks when mining stone, etc).

I tried it out today and it worked really nicely.  When I was digging a tunnel, I put a pick and a shovel in my hotbar then just pointed and clicked.  The tools switched back and forth as needed when going from stone to gravel to dirt back to stone.  I also tried building something - I started with cobble in hand, then when I made a mistake I simply held left-click on the block and it switched to the pick.  Once the wrongly-placed block was mined, I just wheel-clicked another cobble to switch back to cobblestone (this is built into vanilla Minecraft 1.2.5).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Just trying out that Sphax PureBDCraft texture pack (I picked the 128x version), and it looks awesome.  Also doesn't seem to bog the machine down at all - I'm assuming that's because it's vector-based graphics.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

IT may be generated FROM vector drawings but it is still a 128bit flat texture same as the rest.

I am interested in trying the standard res version.

Thorin

Are you sure?  There are a bunch of classes in the Minecraft jar file that get replaced; its not just adding new texture files.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful