No Man's Sky

Started by Mr. Analog, August 12, 2016, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The RNG could just be placing them in the same general area. True random would lead to overlap, but not SIGNIFICANT overlap. an entire galaxy has billions upon billions of stars, and many of them are on the outside ring of the galaxy, which is where i thought people were getting placed. Out in the arms.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I've run across two systems that had already been discovered

I don't really like this game but I can't stop playing it either, it's strange
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2016, 12:26:12 PM

I had the same feeling until I gave it a break for a full day... Haven't played since.

Might check it out again, they really need to patch in that whole space faction combat or something.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 26, 2016, 12:43:57 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2016, 12:26:12 PM

I had the same feeling until I gave it a break for a full day... Haven't played since.

Might check it out again, they really need to patch in that whole space faction combat or something.

It got a little easier when I boosted my shields / beam weapons (also when I figured out that you can press "X" in space to switch guns) but still I've yet to win a dogfight

Interestingly enough if you go right back to your grave all your stuff will be there with no enemies so... what's the point of it?

I'D SAY "beta is beta" but this was released as a finished game
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I generally don't have a lot of "fun" per-se playing any game, but this one has at least kept my interest. I still need to find a bloody atlas interface and junk. I accidentally skipped aligning myself with the atlas path.. sooo yay. And in the mean time, as I look for that stuff, I've been finding new ships and tools to upgrade/fix.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 26, 2016, 01:15:02 PM
I generally don't have a lot of "fun" per-se playing any game, but this one has at least kept my interest. I still need to find a bloody atlas interface and junk. I accidentally skipped aligning myself with the atlas path.. sooo yay. And in the mean time, as I look for that stuff, I've been finding new ships and tools to upgrade/fix.

TBH I find it relaxing most of the time

The only things I find really janky now are the space stations. WHY SO BIG? Just give me a menu screen like in Cosmonautica

Man! If they combined the charm of Cosmonautica with the VASTNESS / FPS of No Man's Sky it would be AMAZING

OH YEAH word to the wise move that FOV slider to the maximum the game becomes WAY more playable. It didn't occur to me until just now that that was a thing I did that made things less "pukey" for me
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If you get lost on the Atlas path there should be an Anomaly (it is actually a space station size ship) that appears in your current star system or next eventually. An NPC there will give you the option to re-join the path.

Tom

Yeah. The fov is very important. You can bump it up further with an ini setting iirc.

Theres also a nice mod to disable the "instagram (brown) filter" the game puts over everything.

I do find it relaxing most of the time. Basically why I play it.

Quote from: Lazybones on August 26, 2016, 01:55:15 PM
If you get lost on the Atlas path there should be an Anomaly (it is actually a space station size ship) that appears in your current star system or next eventually. An NPC there will give you the option to re-join the path.
Not so much lost, as Im not on "the path" to begin with. I skipped the initial orb thing. I think I either have to go back and find it, or what.. I dunno. Haven't seen any evidence of an anomaly yet.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 26, 2016, 02:16:55 PM
Yeah. The fov is very important. You can bump it up further with an ini setting iirc.

Theres also a nice mod to disable the "instagram (brown) filter" the game puts over everything.

I do find it relaxing most of the time. Basically why I play it.

Quote from: Lazybones on August 26, 2016, 01:55:15 PM
Not so much lost, as Im not on "the path" to begin with. I skipped the initial orb thing. I think I either have to go back and find it, or what.. I dunno. Haven't seen any evidence of an anomaly yet.

Same here, I rejected it. Little did I know it would be integral to some parts of progression
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Ahahaha talk about timing. I found an anomaly and got my AtlastPass v1 (finally)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I found a new 24slot multitool last night so i didnt have time to go look for an anomaly or anything :o also was stupid tired after two days in a row of <6hrs sleep, so i had to hit the hay early :(

I've been wanting to play so bad, especially after watching lets-plays of it. Was just too tired to play for very long last night. :(

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have considered a refund but at the same time it was a gift and I got a few hours out of it...

What do you think Mr. A?

Without without some more content I think it will end up on the shelf.. I did log back in and encounter a fairly large space battle the other day.. I attempted to help the ship that sent a distress call but found it kind of difficult... I didn't have any accept mission type interface so everyone conned neutral so I just flew in close to the ship with the distress call and started shooting at the fighters attacking it. This conned 3 of them at a time which was rather easy to deal with until I accidentally hit the capital ship I was helping and had to run away because it was hitting me hard.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 29, 2016, 11:02:01 AM
What do you think Mr. A?

I think the main thing that bothers me at this time is that it has potential but it feels like they'd have to put a lot of work into it to get there and if so many people are refunding it they may just scrap the whole thing

I'm still on the fence with it, it's relaxing to play because you basically don't do anything, and there are no risks (just as there are no rewards). It IS eating up my game time, time I could be playing and having actual fun with Overwatch / Fallout / Doom / Starbound

I mean I feel like I want to keep it just in case but I'm worried that they'll shut the servers down and then there will be no game there

EDIT: Apparently there IS offline play but the articles I found seemed a bit sketchy on the details. Some say the only missing features would be the discovery uploads

Still conflicted
By Grabthar's Hammer