Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare has been out just over a week...

Started by Darren Dirt, November 14, 2016, 01:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

...and ther's already plenty of 4 hour videos to save you money/time maybe

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Infinite+Warfare+cut+scenes+full

I might do with this title what I did with the entire BioShock series. Because who has time to actually PLAY these epic games anymore? ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Most COD players I know are strictly in it for the multiplayer, even though the multiplayer isn't very nuanced. Having a story mode is nice but not required.

That said a walkthrough only gives you the details of the story, but it doesn't give you the feel of the story. What do I mean by that?

Take a game like DOOM (2016), you can watch somebody play through the game but it feels flat and kinda dull, but when you are playing it yourself and you have adrenaline going through your system that's an experience. The sights and sounds amping up as you play through really get you going.

The same thing applies with Bioshock, as an owner of the series I found out that the HD redux versions were available to me for free so recently I got a chance to take a walk down memory lane with Bioshock 1 (once I got a few glitches fixed holy CRAP) you know what came back that I had sort of forgotten? The intensity of the game. I mean there's one point where I'm crawling around under a grate and there are foes above me looking around for me, then I stumble on a log tape message... sitting there in a crawlspace hearing about backstory as I try to and keep from being seen with all the atmospheric sounds of water dripping? Man... there's nothing like it. That's what made Bioshock such a good series, it's not the gameplay (which is bland and easy) or the story (which is often nonsensical or just plain stupid) OR the atmosphere (which is actually still pretty good) its how all these things come together, how the blend of these things transports you to another world and for the most part doesn't break you out of it.

One of the challenges I've had with COD was the game does not mesh its narrative with the action at all, so you sometimes get a really compelling story - you want to be invested in it ... but then the game yanks you out of it to show off some dumb game mechanic you may use once in single player or you just become "Waypoint Hunter: No Strategy Needed Man" just trying to figure out what your objective is (aha stand in one spot for 10 minutes while waves of enemies come at you).

I guess one of the reasons why I like the FPS Fallout games so much is that it combines a fascinating backdrop with a lot of different ways to play in the world it gives you, every playthrough I've had so far in each game has been different because I chose to specialize and approach things differently. In New Vegas the second run I did was mostly non-violent because I had enough charisma to talk my way out of bad situations (including the broken-ass final boss fight), that made me feel like I had agency in the world I was in and despite numerous glitches (BETHESDA!) I never felt like I was taken out of the world it presented

I have TRIED to play Advanced Warfare several times because the story was compelling to me but the gameplay kept getting in the way of that story. I think it's probably the one game I've re-installed and not played more than any other in my collection, there's just something about it that keeps sucking me out of it... conversely just about any GTA game sucks me in even when I'm done all the missions because the worlds are so rich I get absorbed in them... there's really no expressing what it feels like to just "go for a drive" in GTAV (online or off) ... it's weird

LONG STORY SHORT, I kinda don't care about CoD (other than I wish it well) I live for games that immerse me in their worlds and I love games that give ME agency to play them how I want.

I guess I should say that conversely, I also like games with nonsense story, good gameplay and challenging fights even though I suck at them (oh Dark Souls I love AND hate you so much)

I feel like if I had a venn diagram of things I like it would be
-gameplay
-world building
-agency

Any of those two overlap I'll probably like it (I've yet to find one that fits all three)
By Grabthar's Hammer