A graphical comparison of Xbox 360 vs PS3 from Gamespot

Started by Shayne, December 06, 2006, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

As more often then not, Gamespot has a very good feature comparing the 2 graphical powerhouse consoles.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html

360 wins in most.   PS3 games are launch games, and I would say that does matter a little.

Darren Dirt

Thanks for finding this; and bonus it's fun using mouseovers to make the CoD3 guys and Spidey "dance". :D (and especially on the final page, making 360-version-looks-more-lightskinnedAsian-than-darkskinnedAffro Tiger Woods do a 2-frame version of his infamous ball trick 8) )

Comparing images to images, ignoring the names behind the pretty, in a double-blind test, I concur: "the PS3 has sharper textures... the building textures are sharper on the PS3..." (although since the 360 apparently has cooler lighting, it depends on what you enjoy more: realism or sharpness). Overall the amazing lighting in some 360 shots, especially the sports games, impressed me the most (HDR is here to stay, no doubt!). It's like watching real-life TV footage. (I was also surprised how many of the games ran slower on the supposedly-better-horespower PS3.)

PS: anyone else have a City Of Heroes deja-vu moment with some of the interior environments on this page? (for example, this reminds me of an Archnos lair or something :o )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

In a high motion game like NFS:Carbon I would sacrifice the clarity of textures for more lighting features.  Not a lot of time to stop and smell the roses.  In a game like CoD3 and Tony Hawk i think textures are much more important

Darren Dirt

Oddly enough, the mesh of the football jersey was more vivid/sharp in the 360 version, but overall I found the 360 graphics to be "softer" and perhaps that's less realistic to some people, although the amazing dynamic lighting makes up for that ... and this is just still frames :o

Remind me not to come over to any friends' houses and see actual full-motion gameplay of 360 games on HD televisions, otherwise I might be tempted on crossing over to the Dark Side ;)

Lazybones

NFS:Carbon Last image, missing details in the rear view mirror and lack of AA on buildings.. look at the right hand side

Maddon, last image, way more texture detail on the 360 version.

Shayne

Quote from: Lazybones on December 06, 2006, 02:40:59 PM
NFS:Carbon Last image, missing details in the rear view mirror and lack of AA on buildings.. look at the right hand side

Nice catch Lazy.  Didnt see that, i noticed the building looking sharper, but to get that they had to remove everything from the review.

Shayne

To me the Madden first picture says a lot more.  In PS3 world no shadows are cast!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Shayne on December 06, 2006, 02:49:52 PM
To me the Madden first picture says a lot more.  In PS3 world no shadows are cast!

While the article says there is no shadow cast *on the field*, you can see there *is* a shadow cast upon the "folks" in the audience. The writer of the article was confused/surprised cuz they apparently selected the same time/place and yet the sun was at a different angle !? That's what I noticed, IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc. :)