Bethesda and id Software?

Started by Tom, June 24, 2009, 12:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Meh, companies trying to survive the economics?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on June 24, 2009, 02:22:01 PM
Last I heard the game industry is doing rather well. As in sales are up, not down. If any game studio like id is having problems in this economy "They are doing it wrong". The company it self should be flush with cash from past successes, and currently selling games should generate constant income. ID even has a new game coming out that should do alright, so I really doubt it has anything to do with "tough economic times".

Mags

Quote from: Tom on June 24, 2009, 03:00:40 PM
Last I heard the game industry is doing rather well. As in sales are up, not down. If any game studio like id is having problems in this economy "They are doing it wrong". The company it self should be flush with cash from past successes, and currently selling games should generate constant income. ID even has a new game coming out that should do alright, so I really doubt it has anything to do with "tough economic times".

Just do a google of the game companies that have shut down in the last year - year and a half. Can't be too great out there.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Lazybones

I think it is a factor of the cost of development and the need for even larger teams. Photo real textures and environments take many man hours of work.

Tom

Quote from: Mags on June 24, 2009, 03:35:05 PM

Just do a google of the game companies that have shut down in the last year - year and a half. Can't be too great out there.
Yeah, sure, lots have closed, but thats mostly because they made @%&#ty games or had a horrible business model.

according to http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/13892 its more of a strategic partnership with id keeping control of all of its IP. Essentially its so ID doesn't have to compete with other games from the same publisher. Bethesda doesn't publish the same sort of games.

Its starting to sound more like a merger than an outright sell off.

Darren Dirt

Last I heard the game industry is doing rather well. As in sales are up, not down. If any game studio like id is having problems in this economy "They are doing it wrong". The company it self should be flush with cash from past successes, and currently selling games should

How many "shoulds" does your "wishful thinking" tank have left? ;)

oh and btw, Edmontites... how come nobody comments on this business news?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Guess we missed that one DD.

Should post a new topic on it instead of hijacking this one with it.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 25, 2009, 12:33:20 AM
Last I heard the game industry is doing rather well. As in sales are up, not down. If any game studio like id is having problems in this economy "They are doing it wrong". The company it self should be flush with cash from past successes, and currently selling games should

How many "shoulds" does your "wishful thinking" tank have left? ;)

::)

Mr. Analog

To me id has been dead for a long time while Bathesda is on the rise, makes sense for id to pair up with something upwardly mobile... I guess.
By Grabthar's Hammer