Main Menu

3D Printers

Started by Lazybones, February 27, 2017, 11:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Yeesh, figured out the rattle. The y axis bearings are loooooose af.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Lazy,  How have you been finding the generic seacans filament? It's stupid cheap. The AMZ3D stuff I got from amazon may be causing me issues, so I want to try known good/consistent filament.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on September 09, 2017, 08:16:57 PM
Lazy,  How have you been finding the generic seacans filament? It's stupid cheap. The AMZ3D stuff I got from amazon may be causing me issues, so I want to try known good/consistent filament.

The seacans stuff prints smoothly on my printer.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 09, 2017, 08:55:45 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 09, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

The seacans stuff prints smoothly on my printer.
Requires me to buy two things :( feh. If they had more 3d printing parts I may have choked down the shipping cost. Spool3d's filament is $10 more per spool lol. same shipping. but they do have a lot of different 3d printing related stuff.

Ended up just ordering some hatchbox from amazon for now for comparison.

Tom

Ok, i finally got around to bothering to calibrate my extruder. It would seem I was under extruding by 7%. Wow.

... Some time later ...

After a few prints, it has helped with certain things, but not the zits and streaks I'm trying to track down and fix. As it would turn out, the Prusa Edition Slic3r gets rid of most/all of the zits, and all/most of the associated streaks.

I'm still seeing some inconsistencies in Z. I will have to check to see how bad the wobble on the Z axis threaded rod (yes, its plain threaded rod, not a proper lead screw) is.

I'm also going to try out Cura 2.7 to see if it improves things.

Lazybones

Ya I have heard that the zits which are typically the layer transitions are an issue in cura or have been. Slic3r by default tries to hide them inside the model.

Each slicer program has some key features / benefits. I have used cura for its layer scripting to make temperature towers and also slice objects that Slic3r was generating horrible supports for.

Tom

If it were just the zits, i probably wouldnt be too concerned. But they come with weird long streaks after. Like the entire axis is shifted?? I dunno. So far its been a bit of a headache.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on September 10, 2017, 02:44:17 PM
If it were just the zits, i probably wouldnt be too concerned. But they come with weird long streaks after. Like the entire axis is shifted?? I dunno. So far its been a bit of a headache.
Pictures?

Also this might help.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Tom

I tested out cura 2.7, and perhaps it helped a little. Slic3r (Prusa Edition) helped out more, it seems to be better at hiding the zits, but i think they are still sort of there, as in the streaks are still showing somewhat.

Quote from: Lazybones on September 11, 2017, 08:57:40 AM
Quote from: Tom on September 10, 2017, 02:44:17 PM
Pictures?
First image is cura 2.7 after turning off a bunch of fancy "anti-stringing" features and going super slow (30mm/s max).
Second is Slic3r Prusa 1.36.2 with what I'd call normal settings? with some of the "quality" settings enabled.

Quote from: Lazybones on September 11, 2017, 08:57:40 AM
Also this might help.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/
Great page. I either have it open when troubleshooting, or will open it up shortly after seeing a weird thing in a print. There are other resources as well that I use, but the s3d one is pretty darn good.

I just wish S3D wasn't $180cad. *sigh*

Maybe once I have a printer that is capable of super high detailed and accurate prints I can justify that kind of cost. Right now? NOPE! I'll live with slic3r and cura.

Lazybones

Just a word of warning, WHITE pigment filaments have a reputation of having more printing problems and making problems more visible than any other

Edit: ONe of my first rolls was WHITE and it printed with more problems than any other I had on hand. Which is sad because it is the easiest to paint.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 11, 2017, 11:18:28 AM
Just a word of warning, WHITE pigment filaments have a reputation of having more printing problems and making problems more visible than any other
I keep printing these with white because its easier to see the problems. They are still there with black and trans-natural pla.

Pic of the first shippy I printed with my V2 MP Select Mini. (I think, or it was the second after I replaced the bed bearings, but I'm pretty sure it was the first shippy on this printer)

Lazybones

"benchy" never heard it called shippy.

The primary issue I think I am seeing in your prints are the layer changes. It looks like there is some over or under extrusion right at the layer change.

One thing to remember is your printer is a bowden not a direct drive so there are some specifics about retraction etc you need to resolve on your own.

FYI in the Prusa group I am in S3D seems to cause MORE quality issues for first time users than anything else. Its key features are all advanced processing / multi-process (found in cura as well) and custom supports..

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 11, 2017, 11:34:21 AM
"benchy" never heard it called shippy.
I'm rather brain tired as of late. My recall just doesn't properly work and I give up trying to recall the word I'm looking for after a moment or two and grab at whatever was closest.

The primary issue I think I am seeing in your prints are the layer changes. It looks like there is some over or under extrusion right at the layer change.
Yeah, I just calibrated, and it seemed to help. It was under extruding (ala that last image) by about 7% before.

Maybe I'll try hand adjusting the extrusion multiplier to see what happens.

One thing to remember is your printer is a bowden not a direct drive so there are some specifics about retraction etc you need to resolve on your own.
I've played with retraction a lot, including disabling it entirely. It doesn't seem to help those things at all.

FYI in the Prusa group I am in S3D seems to cause MORE quality issues for first time users than anything else. Its key features are all advanced processing / multi-process (found in cura as well) and custom supports..
Yeah, I hear that as well. From the screenshots I've seen its ui is pretty basic. a lot like Slic3r, meaning programmers designed it ;D

I've started to get the hang of the settings and what they do for the most part. Some of the advanced settings don't really explain what they do properly. It's pretty trial and error.

Tom

I've played with the flow rate (extrusion multiplier) in cura, and it doesn't change the artifacts at all. I can see it doing things (at 90% things get a little thin, at 110% things get bloated), just doesn't change the zits and lines.

Lazybones

What about temps? Temperature impacts how quickly the material flows.

Also do your sample files included with the printer have this issue?