Xbox 360 adds 1080p Support - Ha in your face Sony!

Started by TheDruid, September 20, 2006, 12:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDruid

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Xbox_360_adds_1080p_Support

QuoteA press release from start of TGS states that a software update this year will enable 1080p output on your Xbox 360!

You will finally be able to experience all 60 frames per second of visuals that your 1080p HDTV can provide. Unfortunately there has been no HDMI cable yet announced so this is only over component and VGA. Even better, users can expect 1080p upscaling immediately on current games and DVDs while native 1080p on compatible HD DVD titles.

We were under the impression that HD-DVD had a 1080i limit on it's out put, but I guess we will have to wait while more information unfolds. Microsoft has yet to announce if any new game titles will be produced in 1080p natively, but we thinks that is inevitable. Too bad I just bought a new HDTV with 1080i.

The real questions is, what edge does Sony now have since MS can also produce 1080p? Kinda takes away their thunder yet again. Poor Sony.

QuoteNow honestly, show of hands: who has their console (not PC!) connected to a display device capable of 1080p? Who plans on buying a device capable of 1080p?

*Druid puts up his hand with the sound of crickets in the background*
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Lazybones

Adams

I guess its like those 4X DVD burners that when flashed them it would turn into 8X DVD Burners.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Cova

Quote from: TheDruid on September 20, 2006, 12:28:55 PM
QuoteNow honestly, show of hands: who has their console (not PC!) connected to a display device capable of 1080p? Who plans on buying a device capable of 1080p?

*Druid puts up his hand with the sound of crickets in the background*

*Also raises his hand.

I don't remember though if component has enough bandwidth for 1080p60 (not that we know from that article what framerate it will be at) - might have to get the VGA output adapter to really use it.  Or better yet, wait for them to release a DVI / HDMI output cable.

Shayne

Nope, it doesn't.  Confirmed by Microsoft that through component it will max out at 1080i

Mr. Analog

Forgive my ignorance, but won't both versions of the PS3 (the 'tard pack and the real edition) support HDMI, which is capable of outputting 1080p60?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Adams

I think you are right, I read that the 1080P was one of the saving graces of a failing game console.

Adams

Component can theoretically handle the 1080P/60 but its all on the end of the sending device which means the XBOX360 video card cannot output this signal over analog format.

At least this is what I am reading, don't want to start any fights over this though. >:D

Lazybones

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

VGA:

HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others

DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others

Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
Component:

HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Shayne

Druid, Ratman and I were discussing this new HDDVD drive thats $200 btw including a remote and King Kong and it really doesn't seem worth it in any real shape or form.  For those desperate for over priced hi-def content it might be worth it, but for me I just don't see the value.  Im going to wait for that triple format media to come out and some company like Samsung to make an uber machine.

Cova

I'll most likely pick up the HD-DVD drive and VGA output kit.  $200 doesn't seem that bad to me, last time I bought a standard DVD player it cost more than that.  And hopefully it'll also be able to play HD format disks on DVD-R.  There are a bunch of guys over on the AVS forums that have gotten the toshiba stand-alone HD-DVD players to play back HD h264 content that they burned onto DVD-R after recording it OTA or over firewire.

Shayne

Okay, so im shifting my position on this $200 HD-DVD player.  I think im gonna pick it up after all.  Ive been a member of Zip.ca for almost 2 years now and I find its service to be A1.  A week or so ago I was making a change to my account and I noticed the options in the screenshot below.  I think thats enough for me to spend the cash and move up to next-gen.

Shayne

A couple more screens showing they have rent buttons for HD format as well as availability of the other formats...

Shayne

In the 1UP podcast from a couple weeks back, it was confirmed by a developer working on Resistance (the "must own" game for the North America launch) that it will be running in 720p.

Cova

Pisses me off - my TV won't accept 1080p60 over component - only 1080p24 and 1080p30.  I need DVI/HDMI or VGA to do the full 60 frames per second.  I know it works over HDMI as I have a PC connected with a DVI->HDMI cable, desktop running 1920x1080@60Hz.  I'm assuming VGA will work, as the manual for the TV says it will - I even have a VGA kit for the 360, but I need to exchange it for one that also does digital audio.  Why Monster made a VGA kit with only stereo analog audio I don't know.