World of Warcraft's Brand New Rootkit

Started by Mr. Analog, November 15, 2007, 10:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

An interesting article just popped up on Slashdot:
Quote from: Captain Kirk"We all know that World of Warcraft has checked for hacks to ensure a safe game environment for all players. The latest version of these checks goes beyond anything seen so far in that what is being checked is now completely encrypted. Obviously this hits bot writers as can be seen from these complaints, But it also strikes at the privacy of all users. Now Blizzard has a tool that is encrypted and can run any type of scan, transfer any file or edit any document on your computer. That can't be right."
Emphasis mine.

Slashdot article link.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Do you use games on Steam?
Do you run with VAC enabled on VAC servers?

Encrypted content with a service that detects hacking..  I would say in an MMO blizzard is on the right track as long as the service is ONLY checking its own content.

Even if it is encrypted it should be easy to tell if the monitoring service is scanning other files on your system.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on November 15, 2007, 10:35:45 AM
Even if it is encrypted it should be easy to tell if the monitoring service is scanning other files on your system.

For a typical Windows Vista user, rather than a well-trained and experienced network admin such as yourself?  What would they do to detect what files on their system are being opened for read?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

That's true, it's just interesting that Blizzard is doing this to existing clients that didn't do this before.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on November 15, 2007, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on November 15, 2007, 10:35:45 AM

For a typical Windows Vista user, rather than a well-trained and experienced network admin such as yourself?  What would they do to detect what files on their system are being opened for read?

What would they do for a NON encrypted tool? The only people who would montor ether are those that understand what it is doing.

Quote from: Mr. AnalogThat's true, it's just interesting that Blizzard is doing this to existing clients that didn't do this before.

Valves VAC was not an original component of Steam as far as I recall and people complained about it as well.

Darren Dirt

makes me even more likely to go back to the City Of Heroes well rather than risk a new MMO ;)

Mr. Analog, FYI I might actually be installing CofH(and V) this weekend, got my son and daughters all excited about playing last weekend after reminiscing with ya... Kinda dreading the long download though (no idea where my install CDs went, but they're ancient anyway...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I really really wish I had time this weekend, maybe Sunday night.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.