Main Menu

Fallout 76

Started by Mr. Analog, May 30, 2018, 12:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So I woke up late to see this teaser trailer from Bethesda

https://youtu.be/-ye84Zrqndo

For those who might not know Vault 76 was supposed to open only 20 years after the bombs. It's located in the Capital Wasteland area.

Not much else is known at this point. There is some speculation that this might be an online game (I doubt it but who knows.) To say I'm hype is an understatement

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

More details have surfaced, some are rumors some are not:

The date on the Pip Boy 2000 (yes we're goin' back to OG Fallout for the Pip Boy design) indicates that the year is 2102, or 25 years after the bombs dropped this is interesting because it means that either the vault opened as planned and then what we're doing is 5 years after or something happened to prevent opening OR Bethesda retconned the timeline.

The setting is otherwise unchanged from canonical lore about Vault 76, West Virginia borders on Maryland and isn't far from DC so we might be playing on the borders of game areas we've been to before. That said Fallout 3/4 are set roughly 200 years after the great war so seeing things from a very early perspective (only 25 years after) will be interesting. Obviously a different set of hazards would exist in this world staples like Super Mutants and Ghouls may still exist (thanks to Vault 92) but factions like the Brotherhood of Steel / Enclave wouldn't.

The rumor mill has been working overtime as some details have been "leaked" to Kotaku stating that the game would be an online multiplayer game in the vein of RUST. Some analysis of the teaser video indicates that it might be up to five co-op players but honestly there's so little information to go on speculation is running wild with theories going from an Elder Scrolls Online style MMO to a Battle Royale type game.

My hope is that this is actually a single player campaign with multiplayer options. I think this may actually be the case because if the rumors are true then we need to look back at the game engine itself. Gamebryo does a lot of things well, but multiplayer isn't one of them. So unless there's a completely different engine being used (which may very well be) it would be unlikely to have an MMO or Battle Royale style game - I feel like we might end up with something more like Borderlands?

Personally speaking I play Fallout to get away from other people for a while, and while it would be cool to play a multiplayer survival type game in the Fallout universe much like Minecraft or RUST I would want to play with friends not random jackasses. If it's an MMO like ESO then I'm not interested at all I really hate tedious grind-y gameplay, the settlement building and radiant quests for the Minutemen were my least favorite part of the game. Once I figured out a few key mechanics for settlement building (the secret is trade routes) I could break the game economy see the value but otherwise having Preston Garvey let me know about yet another settlement that needed my help got tiresome very quickly. Thanks but No.

Equally if the game is gonna be a Battle Royale type game I'm just not interested, if I want to play Fortnight I'll play that or PUBG instead. Equally with games like RUST or ARK unless its with friends I'm not interested in getting ganked by randos in my off time - if Bethesda lets us run our own servers like RUST / ARK it might be fun but I'm not gonna have many friends to play with. I just don't know enough people that into Fallout to be into it.

Like I said before, if the game is a Borderlands type deal where you can optionally add friends into the adventure then it might be fun, but I needs me some more single player campaign type games. (Bethesda plz let Black Isle take a crack at another game with the F4 engine!) Also I actually wouldn't mind a Fallout 3 remaster... that game was a lot of fun and I'd like to replay it without a dozen mods to make it look less like a 10 year old game.

We only have to wait until June 10th to find out more... but still HYPE!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I would SO SO SO SO love a MP Co-op bounce in and out mode like Borderlands.  So sexy that would be!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2018, 10:55:26 AM
I would SO SO SO SO love a MP Co-op bounce in and out mode like Borderlands.  So sexy that would be!

I know right?? That's literally the best option for an online Fallout ESPECIALLY with weapon crafting / modding. Imagine just hooking up with friends and everybody plays a little different but can come together to do fun stuff.

I think this would be the best - I mean I'd still want to have the option to play solo but HELL YEAH
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

My worst nightmare has come to pass, online only RUST-style Fallout [emoji107][emoji107]

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

More details came in today with an E3 interview with Todd Howard:
https://youtu.be/wpCLE2IIvXE

• Online only
  • No NPCs
  • There is a questline and a quest system that will send you out exploring from the Vault
  • Audio logs, robots, terminals, etc still in the game
  • Still working out the PVP elements, they want to balance to reduce or punish griefing while retaining the possibility of conflict
  • They will give players options on how to do PVP (with incentives)
  • VATS still exists, but will be in real-time
  • They want to have mods but not at launch
  • Game will evolve over time with events, etc
There will be no in-game narrative beyond the basic premise, the "found world" exploration part of previous games will still be there presumably with little stories here and there as lore. I think the Fallout community is still processing what we saw yesterday, a lot of giant mutants is somewhat of a lore break but then again we had some significant lore-breaking content in Fallout 3, 4 as well

The pre-order bonus is very expensive (over $200 USD)

I'm still very conflicted.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah the concept of nuking other people is initially a broken mechanic to me.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on June 11, 2018, 03:34:30 PM
Yeah the concept of nuking other people is initially a broken mechanic to me.

Apparently there's a multiplayer survival game out in the wild that has a similar game mechanic (and is similarly hated) where you can send a "god" to smite your enemies constructions. Like I say there's so much detail that we don't have yet, it's kinda frustrating.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4NbPbkNUbc, was this really necessary?  Rather than putting dev effort into 76...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on June 10, 2019, 04:34:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4NbPbkNUbc, was this really necessary?  Rather than putting dev effort into 76...
At least we have human NPCs coming in season 2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

On Bethesda's Account Page:

QuoteLINKED ACCOUNTS
Manage platform, social media, and game account connections. Please note: If you own Fallout 76 on Bethesda.net (PC), linking your Steam account by April 12 @ 11:59PM EST will provide you the Fallout 76 entitlement on your Steam account when it launches on April 14.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on April 02, 2020, 06:10:32 PMOn Bethesda's Account Page:

QuoteLINKED ACCOUNTS
Manage platform, social media, and game account connections. Please note: If you own Fallout 76 on Bethesda.net (PC), linking your Steam account by April 12 @ 11:59PM EST will provide you the Fallout 76 entitlement on your Steam account when it launches on April 14.
Done and done!

FYI 3x XP weekend

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Turns out it's possible for NPCs to loot player corpses for weapons!

https://massivelyop.com/2020/04/22/fallout-76-npcs-can-and-will-loot-your-corpse-and-take-your-shiny-weapon/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Noice. That is kewl actually.