"Cosmo Kramer" was FLIPPING OUT!

Started by Darren Dirt, November 21, 2006, 11:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

(based on the thread title, allow visual imagery from a typical Seinfeld episode to play out in your mind...)

For those of you who didn't listen to the radio this morning...

rhymes with "trigger" :o

"Kramer's" Racist Tirade -- Caught on Tape

Michael Richards Apology on Late Show with David Letterman (sadly, the audience thought he was doing a bit! They chuckled and laughed, and JERRY had to tell them to smarten the hell up!)

One of the hosts on the K-Rock morning show said he had seen Michael Richards do standup, and he's not that good -- he's a hell of a skilled funnyman when acting (especially within a character and/or in an ensemble) but Bob Saget he is not...

Personally, after watching the Letterman video clip, I am very impressed with Mr. Richards -- not only did he accept responsiblity and say sorry for his mistake VERY soon after, but he put up with the stupid Late Show audience, they perhaps were so "Uncomfortable..." that they couldn't believe it was a serious apology. It was like they were waiting for Jerry to say something to lighten the mood, or Dave... but nope, it was *serious* folks. Now don't you feel stupid? ::)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

To be honest, I just watched the ACTUAL footage, and yeah it was inappropriate, and not funny... but it's not nearly as bad as some things that Lenny Bruce or Bill Hicks did, or even what Chris Rock says in his act -- attempting to get the audience (and the heckler) to acknowledge their own inner demons, their own prejudices that they try to deny still exists after all the "progress" of the past few decades.

Lenny and Bill, of course, did it way better, but imagine the reaction if camera phones were all the rage when they were king of the world.

And hey, notice how much of the audience was *laughing* the first 30 seconds of the dialogue... Kinda revealing ain't it. Only when the name-calling started did some folks start thinking it wasn't a funny bit, but instead was a serious shouting match. Then they left the comedy club. ::)

LOL and guess what clip shows up in the "related video" after the CNN news story covering this controversy?

"Nigga Please" cereal -- from the Chris Rock Show. ::)

Michael sorta hinted at a good point, about the power we give those words by the double-standard of how they are "allowed" to be used (and in the CNN story, Paul Rodriguez confirmed that double standard :( )... (sorta reminded me of Frank Zappa on Crossfire back in the 1980s) but then he turned it back into some stupid whiteman vs. blackman so the apology is/was definitely necessary.

"It's just words." :-\

Darren Dirt

Saw this on the weekend, pretty dang funnay:

"Black Tirade" -- A parody of the hit song and music video, The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance. Featuring MADtv's Michael McDonald as Michael Richards.