Star Trek: The Bundle Of Sticks

Started by Darren Dirt, January 25, 2017, 11:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Film Theory from a few months ago, discussing the not-even-very-subtle Fascist ideology of the ST universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KBPaS-1PU

(Also, wow, I've never taken that time to realize just how many more HOURS of canon content there is in ST vs the piddly SW universe)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Given it's MatPat how many logical leaps are there to support his wild ass conclusions

For example:
Theory: Star Trek shows a highly militaristic view of the future
In-series reality: Star Trek is shown from the point of view of military personnel working within armed forces

I mean, without seeing it that's the whole video right?

And yes there IS a lot of Trek (not even getting into books or other things) and it contradicts itself constantly. It's like looking at a subatomic particle, it's there somewhere in the middle of all the possible things it could be, sometimes when you observe it it's TOS, other times its ENT

I'm not even sure anyone could conclude anything about Star Trek in general I guess is what I'm saying (then again this is the same group that "figured out" that Princess Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy is Peach & Luigi's daughter from the future...)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 25, 2017, 01:02:50 PM
For example:
Theory: Star Trek shows a highly militaristic view of the future
In-series reality: Star Trek is shown from the point of view of military personnel working within armed forces

I mean, without seeing it that's the whole video right?

Actually (surprisingly!) nope. There's a lot of specific examples he gives that shows "the price of not conforming to society's rules" etc.

From various series, including the new reboot movie series.

Quite a lot less "pulled out of his ass" claims that some other FT episodes, so worth watching imo. (Especially as I watch end of Season 3 of Enterprise watching how the pristinely-moral Jonathan Archer keeps having to make immoral choices for the long-term benefit of The Mission, which tbh is what so often must have happened in the overall history of Starfleet/UFP so it in a way makes sense that it would almost become cultural with prescribed rules of behavior etc. to reduce the chance of dissent etc...)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.