Wallet down size

Started by Lazybones, October 06, 2022, 05:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Recently downsized my giant dad wallet down to a Secrid Miniwallet You may not get the impression from the photos but it has similar dimensions to an Altoids tin just barely bigger than the stack of credit cards it holds.

Really liking it so far, carries all my plastic cars and a little cash no problem. Managed to migrate basically all my membership cards to my Apple Wallet on my phone so my big wallet was already very empty.

The new wallet full is smaller than my old wallet empty in every dimension.

I will note there are a lot of clones of this design on amazon for cheap.. doing research they commonly fall apart or cards slide out. The Secrid has 2-3 year warranty on the wallet.

Only down side is that embossed cards (starting to be phased out) take up more space an you can only get 4 in the popup cartridge. Also since I went with the Miniwallet with the clasp you do need to be careful not to over stuff the outer part. However the point was to be minimum.. I have 4 cards in the cartridge 2 more in one pocket, a slightly thicker security RF card in the other pocket and then a small amount of cash in the bill fold.

Anyway thought it was neat and wanted to share.

Mr. Analog

Ooh I'd love to see pictures!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 06, 2022, 08:22:00 PMOoh I'd love to see pictures!

Here you go my OLD bi/tri fold  is shown EMPTY, it is thicker if it has cards and cash in it.

New wallet is a fraction of the old wallet when shown closed
You cannot view this attachment.
Much thinner.
Card popup holds 4-6 cards depending how many are embossed

You can half fold cash or paper into it or if you need to fold more bills in you can hold them in the end and then fold them with the rest of the wallet, just don't expect to carry a lot of cash or it will not close.

Same with the additional cards slots only can hold 1 or 2 cards each.. The white card is your typical HID prox card which is a bit thick so it is in the outermost spot when the wallet is closed.

It is minimal, so it may not be for everyone but as I said I cleaned out my main wallet and realized the WALLET it self was huge.. I paired things down even more now I have this tiny card carrier.. Don't even need to open it for my primary cards, just pop them up and grab the one I want.

The pop mechanism on the SECRID does hold the cards firmly, I tried shaking them out like you would a bottle of ketchup and they stay in there firm but pop up easily when you pull the lever.

Thorin

Hah! That's hilarious that toy actually included an Altoids box in the pics!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on October 07, 2022, 12:33:02 AMHah! That's hilarious that toy actually included an Altoids box in the pics!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
I wanted to include something for scale that you might have around. It is also a very close proxy

Thought about a deck of cards but didn't have one handy.

Conclusion my old wallet was huge lol. Should have seen it full.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 07, 2022, 08:47:22 AMThat's amazing!!

Just can't carry large amounts of cash or more than about 7-8 cards.. Keep that in mind.. it is very minimal but not AS minimal as the popup only / band / clip style ones.

An alternative I strongly considered was the Ekster Parliament but it is actually a little bit bigger / taller due to it different eject trigger.

Anyway thought it was an interesting thing to share.. not for everyone but so far I am happy with having more pocket space and less bulge.

House of Knives is a official distributor of the Secrid in Canada if you want to go look at them in the mall. My mall location had a display and they let me play with it before committing to it.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 07, 2022, 12:45:57 PM

Just can't carry large amounts of cash or more than about 7-8 cards.. Keep that in mind.. it is very minimal but not AS minimal as the popup only / band / clip style ones.

An alternative I strongly considered was the Ekster Parliament but it is actually a little bit bigger / taller due to it different eject trigger.

Anyway thought it was an interesting thing to share.. not for everyone but so far I am happy with having more pocket space and less bulge.

House of Knives is a official distributor of the Secrid in Canada if you want to go look at them in the mall. My mall location had a display and they let me play with it before committing to it.

Very cool! Yeah I'd like to see if it would be good for my CNIB transit pass because that's always a pain to find a good wallet to display it from...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 07, 2022, 12:50:54 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on October 07, 2022, 12:45:57 PM

Very cool! Yeah I'd like to see if it would be good for my CNIB transit pass because that's always a pain to find a good wallet to display it from...

Since my wallet mostly acts as a credit card / ID holder I keep my ID and credit cards in the ejector /popup. Just trigger it and grab the one I want then slide it back in without opening the wallet. the cartridge also blocks RFID signals. If it is a hard plastic credit card size card it should work find in the ejector. Otherwise you have those pockets in the folding part.

Sine I work from home these days I don't keep my transit pass in the cartridge but I tested it out and it works fine as well as it is a standard size card.