Zimbabwean Dollar Goes Bust

Started by Thorin, March 24, 2009, 10:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Yes, I know, what do we care about the Zimbabwean Dollar, right?  But here's a weird image showing you what happens when you print too much money too fast:

Turns out Zimbabwe has seen 231,000,000% inflation.  That number is not incorrect.  Here's where I got that number from: 231 million percent inflation: Zimbabwe dumps currency.  In that article, they mention a number that I don't know the word for.  The Zimbabwean government tabled a budget of 66,500,000,000,000,000,000 Zimbabwean Dollars.  Ah, leave it to the Germans to publish a list of all the numbers.

66,500,000,000,000,000,000 is sixty-six and a half quintillion!  No more laughing at the Italian Lira, I guess.  We've got a new currency to mock.

Oh, and Zimbabwe has a 6% employment rate.  That's right, employment rate, not unemployment rate!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Apparently at the beginning of February the exchange rate from Zimbabwean dollars to Canadian dollars hit its all-time high of 6,183,157,058 ZWD to 1 CAD.  Yeah, that's an exchange rate of six billion to one.  Shortly thereafter apparently the currency was reset: historical table.

Well, at least it's easy to be a billionaire or even a trillionaire - just move to Zimbabwe and exchange your CAD for ZWD...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

within 6 months, "Who Wants To Be A Quadrillionaire" or equivalent on primetime imo

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Man! Imagine buying a pad of paper with that kind of money, kind of an off trade if you ask me (someone already drawed on these ones)
By Grabthar's Hammer