why Dreamworks movies will never be in the same league as Pixar

Started by Darren Dirt, April 21, 2010, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 22, 2010, 10:17:42 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 22, 2010, 03:27:07 PM
I also loved the babysitting extra feature in The Incredibles. :D it was awesome.

Agreed.  It could've even just been added as a regular scene, it fit perfectly with the movie.

Man, I think I'm gonna watch The Incredibles this weekend, if I can find the time.

Me too, but for reference, I have to make some art for a friend based on the movie
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on April 21, 2010, 08:31:01 PM

btw this mosaic of skewed-grins is gonna make it so any animated film I watch for the rest of my life, I will notice it. Dammit.

It's like the Goldeneye face thing. Can't NOT see it now.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

I just watched Bolt finally. Not sure why I haven't before now. It was quite nice. I don't know what it is, but I have an aversion to animated films even though they are my favorite? For some reason I expect them to suck balls, except so far none of them really have (not completely anyhow). So yeah, I need to stop doing that. Watch it, then criticize it.

I'm going to catch up on all the animated films mentioned here that I haven't seen yet. Probably this weekend ;D probably also watch a few I have seen again :)

edit: just watched Up. It uh, affected me more than I expected.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 23, 2010, 11:02:45 PM

I heard that's a pretty common reaction to that film (haven't seen it yet).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 24, 2010, 10:25:57 AM

I heard the same, but the intro story is so short, I really didn't expect that little bit to hook me so easily. I had to watch something else after it to calm down :o

Thorin

Up! was a great bit of storytelling with a surprisingly sad and forlorn element to it.  But that was easily offset by the talking dogs in the land that time forgot.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Yeah, that did help. Though at the end I was still quite distraught. Probably in a bit of a /mood/ lately. eh.

I watched Ice Age 3 afterwards. That helped take my mind off it :) I didn't expect much from it, and I wasn't surprised. But it was still fun. What I didn't realize before last night was that Blue Sky did both Ice Age and Robots. IMO Robots was a better movie than at least the two Ice Age sequels, and possibly Ice Age itself. I wish they could keep doing /good/ movies, rather than sub par sequels.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 24, 2010, 10:25:57 AM

My son cried in the opening montage (incl. the funeral) ... I cried during the closing montage (with the journal). A beautiful, very human movie. (But it still has "talking animals" lol)

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

JohnK had a great post about generic namby pamby male leads in Disney flicks, I'll post it later but it was pretty funny (well, especially the "antithesis" drawing).

One modern cartoon that I've been actually quite impressed with (and most of you parents are probably well aware of already) is Disney television animation's "Phineas and Ferb", mostly what makes the show is long time animator Dan Povenmire's over the top comedic performance as the secondary villain but what I find impressive is that the show sidesteps many tropes which have come to dominate television animation, for the most part there is very little 'tude (though they do lampshade this many times).

It's sort of unnerving watching something so direct and without pretense in this day and age.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Darren Dirt

oops.

effin' stupid College Humor auto-continuous-play...

correct linky --> http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1939169

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt