When data center cabling becomes art

Started by Mr. Analog, January 25, 2008, 01:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

I'm thinking that practically you want to be somewhere in the middle. The ultra tidy is nice to look at, but what a pain in the ass to work with. And can "Bad Idea" be real? looks like a lot of excess wires there to make it look worse then it maybe is?
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mags on January 25, 2008, 01:46:56 PM
I'm thinking that practically you want to be somewhere in the middle. The ultra tidy is nice to look at, but what a pain in the ass to work with. And can "Bad Idea" be real? looks like a lot of excess wires there to make it look worse then it maybe is?

Well, as I'm sure Lazy can attest, having something neat and organized when you need to make changes is a hell of a lot easier to muck with than just a loose ball.

If everything is tied up and you need to add to it (due to cable failure, etc) you just unzip that bundle, add or remove what you need and zip it up again.

What I've found is that as soon as we start running patch cables to for "quick and dirty" type fixes they generally don't get organized until they are a birds nest (why fix what ain't broke?).

I dunno, it's up to the guys working with it I guess...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If you have enough of a mess, heat becomes and issue do to a lack of air flow.

I project on my list here to clean up the wiring at the corporate office here. It ain't pretty, we have Bay network hubs in some of the wringing closets still.

Cova

The neat way is the way to go, with velcro wraps for everything.  Much much easier to re-velcro a bunch of ties than to untangle spaghetti.