Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by Lazybones, November 23, 2019, 12:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

I'm leaning towards doing the same as I plan on doing with Rick and Morty -- waiting until the whole series is done and then binging the whole thing over a weekend or two. By then lots of good analysis videos will be out ;-)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

That's a very bad idea IMO for one that could be years for another not everything ages well with subsequent seasons and finally you'll be completely spoiled and nothing will be a pleasant surprise

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 09, 2020, 12:53:24 PMThat's a very bad idea IMO for one that could be years for another not everything ages well with subsequent seasons and finally you'll be completely spoiled and nothing will be a pleasant surprise

Lately with my brother rewatching RLM episodes, even if I saw them a year or 2 ago, feels fresh and like new to me -- I guess my brain memory thing is old and tired :-) IMO doubtful I will remember "spoilers" months or years from now when I actually sit down to watch some acclaimed series ... unless some Usual Suspects / Fight Club level plot points are mentioned that are impossible to "un-know". :D

Melbosa

The Mandalorian is cannon and will be showing/portraying/effecting the Star Wars universe, so Movies and other TV Shows will reference or be directly connected to it, Disney has said as much.  So waiting for it to complete would be not recommended in my opinion if you area a Star Wars fullest (plan on watching other content).

I had a friend whom said the same thing about the Arrowverse, but is now kicking themselves as the shows in that crossover and interact so much, yet are in different seasons from each other so knowing how to watch it all chronically is a pain.  I'm guessing that the other Disney Star Wars shows and movies may end up as intertwined as that is, based on how much of Clone Wars and Rebels was referenced/interconnected in the latest Star Wars movie.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Hell, the last episode of this show references one of the most recognizable items from Star Wars Clone Wars/Rebels lol... So it is already intertwined with other Star Wars TV Shows.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on January 09, 2020, 02:25:45 PMHell, the last episode of this show references one of the most recognizable items from Star Wars Clone Wars/Rebels lol... So it is already intertwined with other Star Wars TV Shows.

Yup:

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 09, 2020, 10:25:27 AMThe Mandalorian series is so good, I haven't even watched any of it yet but the positive analysis videos the last few weeks got me researching the cool "DarkSaber" that everyone seems so excited about making its appearance, with all its linked canon backstory. I don't know if the fact that I looked into that says more about me and my brain, or about how good the series is, or both :-)

Thorin

I don't really understand why you'd rather read other peoples' opinion of a show than watch it yourself and form your own opinion, but if that's what you want to do then who are we to stop you.  But please use the spoiler tag for major reveals.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

I am less interested in consuming ( /supporting ) most modern pop culture offerings, for one reason because I have limited time and limited funds I want to spend on "product".

But also over the last half decade or so I definitely find the various reactions to it (in anticipation of release, and then during/after the release) far more fascinating and entertaining than "it" itself.

Serious creativity abounds right now, lots of diversity of thought, I personally over time try to check out the loyal fanboys and the haters (both genuine and "caricature/brand") and a lot somewhere in between... I honestly just find it more entertaining to me personally (even if in theory it takes more "time" to consume those videos than the actual source material, if you just look at the numbers, but hey that's what I prefer now, yeah call me weird). Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I definitely relate to Mike from RLM more often than not as the years go on, and yet the way the younger Jay sometimes needles him in a way that is also something I really enjoy. Plus when Jay is just super negative out of left field it's rather refreshing, it encourages me to see different POVs.

And RLM is just one example btw. I don't seek out the "hate", I am just enjoying the ride, watching the show. Even if in the end I am way behind everyone else in watching The Show.

But sometimes I want to be part of the experience with others, for example I watched the Breaking Bad "sequel" on Netflix with my son the night it was dropped, and enjoyed the experience with him and other netizens the days following.

So I am only consistent in how inconsistent I am ;-)

PS: sorry for the saber spoiler, I thought anyone reading this thread would have been already watching it on their Disney+ week by week...

Mr. Analog

All I can say is the same thing I did before so I won't rehash it, this is something that you can enjoy right now if you want (got a 15 GB thumb drive?)

This is also something that you can binge watch in 8 hours... Not much time compared to other series worth watching (Better Call Saul)

Much like Africa it's waiting there for you...

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Okay Mr. A you have piqued my interest, my brother would probably enjoy it too... This weekend a thumb drive over a lunchtime meal, sound like a plan?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 15, 2020, 05:45:48 PMOkay Mr. A you have piqued my interest, my brother would probably enjoy it too... This weekend a thumb drive over a lunchtime meal, sound like a plan?
Sounds good to me. Oddly enough I'm going to see Star Wars on Saturday so it will have to be Sunday some time

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

To quote Rich Evans a lot, "It was fine."

EDIT: Okay so I am sorta kidding.
Some episodes and moments were GREAT (as in solid film-making and emotion-stirring) and a few were the opposite (e.g. not sure if Bobby Cannavale's son is terrible or just the script was), but I'm certainly glad I ended up watching it -- especially after reading the various Wikia pages explaining stuff from Rebels and Clone Wars etc.

Plus I then got to enjoy a re-watching of Red Letter Media and The Critical Drinker ... and had more fun this time 'round. Plus I now had my own opinion :shock: and found that I disagree with some of their negative comments a bit (and agree with others (and nope I will not say the specifics for either ( I've moved on from this series now :-) ) ) ).

Mr. Analog

I'm glad you enjoyed it

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Yes... I got that thing you sent me ;-)

Lazybones