Mafia: Definitive Edition

Started by Mr. Analog, December 08, 2020, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So I've played about 40 minutes worth and so far it's a pretty good experience. I LOVED the original game even with all its flaws (LIKE DRIVING ~ THE ONE THING YOU DO MOST IN THE GAME) but so far this seems good. I haven't really gotten into combat yet but if it's anything like other Mafia games it should be alright.

The acting so far is pretty good, though I would have loved to have had the original VAs back for more, the character models look a lot better but then that's what more than a decade will do for a game.

I haven't had time to explore the city very much either but so far a lot of familiar elements are there, bridge layouts, trolleys, big buildings --- all seem to be right out of the original game (but with an extensive facelift).

Sound design is top notch including an all new score, though I hope they kept some of the songs they had in the original which included Django Reinhardt among others, it gave the original game a certain feel, even if some of the tracks were on really short loops.

Graphically it doesn't push anything, runs pretty well on my gaming rig... so there's that. It looks really good in game, nice use of light IMO.

The controls are meh, but that's standard for the Mafia games, instead of going for a GTA control scheme they change a few things up which makes it a little confusing at first. By default tutorials are turned off so learning the buttons has been a bit of a chore.

The biggest improvement besides the graphics and sound is THE MAP, finally a Mafia game with a decent HUD map. Also the arrow system along the side of the road is very clever and easy to read in case you need to keep your eyes on the road rather than the map (which is often the case).

Anyway, early days in the game so far but a good experience.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Here, this is what I want to hear somewhere in the new game :D

https://youtu.be/k4DYfUSwDgI
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Pff hahaha!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Oh yeah also I am disappointed with the soundtrack, there's a mission early on in both games where you wreck some cars and in the original you could hear "Hold That Tiger" playing from inside the building that's nearby. It's little touches like that that really made the original memorable.

I'm not sure why there doesn't seem to be any licensed music in the game but it's a real shame.

Also got my first taste of combat last night. It was okay, about what I expected. Still a bit clumsy with the aiming on the controller but that'll change with time

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Hold That Tiger!

https://youtu.be/TKwNVi-Ug8I

By Grabthar's Hammer