PS4 using XBox's Marketing gaffs to FULL effect

Started by Mr. Analog, June 10, 2013, 09:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So basically they're going with the "We're not Microsoft" angle and doing it to raucous applause
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 10, 2013, 09:14:40 PM
So basically they're going with the "We're not Microsoft" angle and doing it to raucous applause
Now if only they weren't sony, and they might just have something ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I know hey?

Never thought I'd see the day when Sony would look good...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

My evil sense is tingling and they removed the missing slide where all the AAA titles will be exclusively available as downloads via the Sony Online store and that no titles will be available on Disk media at launch.

Melbosa

Lol evil sense... Never ignore the evil sense.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

So yesterday I watched the first part of the Southpark 2-parter, this morning decided to check if the "one million sold in first 24 hours" claim by BOTH systems has been followed-up by any news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps4#Sales
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbone#Sales

nope. nothing new.

So I Google'd, found this:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/11/25/xbox-one-vs-ps4-sales-whos-winning-the-console-war.aspx
Despite a strong launch for both consoles, the PlayStation 4 could be considered the launch-day "winner." It took 11 more countries for Microsoft to match Sony's numbers, though it's unclear as to exactly how much of the Xbox One's sales came from territories outside of the United States and Canada. Microsoft made sure to let people know that its consoles were largely sold out at retailers to stoke the image of the console being in demand, though one has to wonder if there would have been a sales increase if more units had been in stock.
[ ] helpful

(Although presently pretty evenly matched, I still think long-term that messing up in your marketing/promises vs demo/delivery so badly that journalists mock your product name* will prove to be a tough early handicap for Big Redmond to overcome in this... war.)

*that FP article is great for uintentional laffs tho...
ARTICLE
"...the hash-tagged ?#XBone? is an abbreviation that?s really just designed for ease of access more than anything else...."

THE GIST OF VIRTUALLY EVERY COMMENT
endctrl ? 6 months ago
The author has got it wrong. XBone was created in jest to poke fun at Microsoft's blunder of a console release. They really 'boned' it. Hence - XBONE. It originated in the NEOGAF forums.

The Loot  endctrl ? 6 months ago
Or because all their decisions are purely designed to "bone" the user.

RiddleofSteel ? 6 months ago −
Wow, this is the most ill-informed article I've read. The Xbone moniker started at NEOGAF, and it's not because it's easier to type. It started because of how Microsoft is really sticking it to the consumer. Thus the term, getting boned by Microsoft, XBONE! Dude, do your homework before you write an article like this.

Mr. Analog

The "sold out" thing was used with Surface sales marketing as well

Meanwhile there's a massive stockpile of the things sitting in warehouses.

Personally I don't see what the rush is all about, the gotta have it titles don't yet exist, and the previous gen games that have been released so far have a lot of strange caveats (like GTA V still framelocked at 30 fps!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt