Mario Odyssey getting great reviews

Started by Mr. Analog, October 26, 2017, 10:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Currently the Metascore is at 97
http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/super-mario-odyssey

As if people weren't sold on the Switch already this will certainly push it over the edge.

I pre-ordered mine via Amazon.ca which is giving me an estimate of Nov 1st... which is probably ok because Wolfenstein: New Colossus is out tomorrow (already downloaded wooh) so I'll probably be slogging through that this weekend if I'm not playing Imaginators

This weekend is crazy yo:
- Mario Odyssey
- Wolfenstein
- Stranger Things Season 2...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Tried to cancel my Amazon order as it's in limbo and just download the damn game RIP
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I think this'll be the next big Switch game in our house.  Splatoon Two is getting an incredible amount of playtime, especially now that I finally set up online play for both it and the older Splatoon.

Breath of the Wild got completely restarted as well, there's a game that just continues to impress.  And Arms is surprisingly good for a quick multiplayer battle with whoever's at home.

But I'm looking forward to seeing my son get lost in all the little bits and pieces of Super Mario Odyssey.  He's the kind of player that explores absolutely everything and finds and completes absolutely everything.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Man that's good! I have to say that I'm also one of those people who likes maps with a lot of stuff to find, especially if the world is interesting (hello sandbox games / collect-a-thons)

I expected a shipping update before release (I pre-ordered from Amazon in June) normally I would have just bought via Nintendo's eShop BUT the game is somehow more expensive there than a physical copy. I have so much more stuff to play this weekend but it would have been nice to get at least the first few hours in.

I'm really impressed with the Switch TBH, I'm playing it a lot more than I thought I would, it being portable plus having a dock turned out to be something I really get a lot of use out of. And I have to agree, even though not much changed with Splatoon 2 or Breath of the Wild they just seem more fun on the Switch than the Wii U. I like ARMS when I play with friends but regular online play is a bit wonky, I haven't unlocked too much from it and going online means you get clobbered by people who played it non stop to get all the good arm enhancements.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I'm putting in my bid for a Switch for XMas, and hope someone picks it up for me :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on October 27, 2017, 10:37:49 AM
I'm putting in my bid for a Switch for XMas, and hope someone picks it up for me :D

Well maybe Santa can find one for you ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

If only I could play games more. It looks like fun. But I dunno. I'm one of those crazy people who often have a better time watching someone play, than playing myself.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on October 28, 2017, 01:00:57 PM
If only I could play games more. It looks like fun. But I dunno. I'm one of those crazy people who often have a better time watching someone play, than playing myself.
You saying you're really busy with a baby around? :)

You've got a new roommate now, too, right?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I watched about 8 hours of livestream recording of Odyssey, it's a fascinating game even just to watch. There's a TON of secrets and things to collect, I think the first level has something like 69 moons you can get, and that doesn't include other little things. From what I've seen each level has at least 20 moons to collect, you always need to collect a minimum of 'em to move on but man, there's stuff buried everywhere.

Game mechanics look solid, though like the streamer I was watching I'll probably use the Pro Controller rather than the Joy-Cons. Boss battles range from easy to somewhat challenging. Ultimately though it looks fun, according to Amazon my copy should arrive on Nov 1st.

I thought I'd be playing way more Wolfenstein this weekend however I ran into many technical problems (it actually BSOD'd my new gaming rig, and it's a common problem apparently) it also corrupted all my save files BUT I got it up and running finally today and man it's good
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 29, 2017, 04:55:20 PM
I watched about 8 hours of livestream recording of Odyssey

Eight hours?!

But yeah, I've heard lots of good things about how full it is...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 29, 2017, 07:16:16 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 29, 2017, 04:55:20 PM
I watched about 8 hours of livestream recording of Odyssey

Eight hours?!

But yeah, I've heard lots of good things about how full it is...
Yeah 2 4 hour chunks. I haven't been sleeping well [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer