Linux in VirtualBox without admin rights (Windows host)

Started by Darren Dirt, June 26, 2014, 11:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I'm on Windows 8.1 now.  Win+E still brings up Windows Explorer.  I minimized the ribbon right away but I do understand how after they were told to have a ribbon to match all the other Microsoft products, they started talking about what a great idea that was.  "You have to use the Ribbon, now come up with reasons why that's a good idea!"

The typical keyboard shortcuts still work (Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl+V to paste, Ctrl+X to cut, etc).  If you double-click a file or press Enter while a file is highlighted, it will open with the default registered application, as before.

However, I still have TeraCopy installed because it's twice as fast at copying or moving files.  And TeraCopy can handle multiple file copy operations at the same time, using separate read and write buffers in different ways depending on whether you're copying from one spot to another on the same physical drive or on two separate physical drives.

Win 8.1's version of Windows Explorer works fine and the ribbon isn't a terrible idea compared to what else they could've done.  I think the ribbon is probably easier to use on touch devices, and doesn't necessarily impose a burden on mouse users.  And the old keyboard shortcuts are still there for keyboard warriors like me.  Windows Explorer is not why I hate Win 8.1.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Like I said before get Start8 or something. It makes 8 a lot more usable ☺
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If you don't mind spending a few bucks http://www.startisback.com/ is really good.. I haven't gone back to try the free ones again lately but there where two things that made me pick startisback.

1. Speed (found Start+ searching slower with some of them)
2. True look and feel (they get the classic start menu looks more accurately than some)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer