Oilers Got Wreck'd: A Love Story. 2014-15 Season?

Started by Mr. Analog, September 29, 2014, 02:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 10, 2015, 02:48:37 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 10, 2015, 02:42:00 PM
Yeah, but how 'bout them defending-champion KINGS?  ;D

Honestly? I'd watch the Kings over the Flames

Just sayin' the Kings? The team that won the Cup last year? Aaaaaaand they're gone! (from the playoffs)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Well the Kings did win it two out of the last three years.  Maybe they just wanted a break and to hang out with family.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

HOLY CRAP OILERS WON THE DRAFT LOTTERY! OILERS GET THE FIRST OVERALL PICK IN A YEAR WHERE THE TOP PICK IS AS GOOD AS SYDNEY CROSBY!!

Un-frickin'-believable...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

It's a WTF moment for the rest of the league LOL.  Glad Oil get him though...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

We are now the Edmonton Spoilers

Now, how long will it take to turn this player into a do-nothing on the Gulag team?

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I dunno, there's lots of talk about how this kid will completely change the make-up of our team.  All the scouts agree he's at the same level Sidney Crosby was when Crosby got drafted, and Crosby took the Penguins to a Stanley Cup two years after being drafted.

Pouliot - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle have been a great trio as a first line, but because they're strong the other team put their strongest players out against P-NH-E.  Now we can make another strong line, Hall - McDavid - Lander/??, and then a third decently strong line Purcell - Roy/?? - Yak.  Now the other team's coach has to think about which line to put his strongest players out against.  Does he let Hall and McDavid run rough-shod over his team?  Or Nuge and Ebs and Poo?  Or does he put out his weaker players against Purse/Roy/Yak, who will then probably score 80+ goals as a line?

The real question is what MacTavish is going to do about the defense.  It's our biggest area of weakness.  Some people think our biggest area of weakness is goalie, but I'm firmly of the belief that once our defense gets better, our goalie's stats will suddenly get better, which then will make our goalie more self-confident and then that cycle will feed itself.

And there's one last question to address: what if the Oilers don't pick McDavid with the first overall pick?  What if they pick a different player?  Or what if they trade the pick?  Well, I'm pretty sure half the season ticket holders would just cancel their tickets and demand a refund.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Defense IMO is a big time problem, that's why I'm a wee bitter about all the fanfare about 1 new power player, it's true a player CAN influence a teams playstyle BUT the reverse is also true.

Will he rise us up or will we bring him down

I was actually depressed that we won the top draft pick... again...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 20, 2015, 10:16:04 AM
The real question is what MacTavish is going to do about the defense.  It's our biggest area of weakness.  Some people think our biggest area of weakness is goalie, but I'm firmly of the belief that once our defense gets better, our goalie's stats will suddenly get better, which then will make our goalie more self-confident and then that cycle will feed itself.

You nailed it right there.

Seeing how much the typical Oilers goalie has had to almost single-handedly deal with for most of the last near-decade, it's shameful. So often the D has "dropped the ball" and there's only so much one dude can do to make up for it...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

McDavid.

That is all.

(had to add his name to my auto-correct dictionary today)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful