Oilers Got Wreck'd: A Love Story. 2014-15 Season?

Started by Mr. Analog, September 29, 2014, 02:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

All I know is MLB spring training has been the most fun Oilers hockey I've seen in years
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 03, 2015, 10:00:08 AM
All I know is MLB spring training has been the most fun Oilers hockey I've seen in years
ROFL.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Wow.  The Oilers are going to finish with their worst win-loss record ever.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 10, 2015, 02:20:57 PM

To rub salt in the gaping wounds: Both the Jets AND Flames are in the playoffs

...and this is why I'm listening to Baseball
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm, I'm mistaken.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edmonton_Oilers_seasons#NHL_.281979.E2.80.93present.29 says 92-93 was worse.  If they lose this weekend, they'll be 61 points in 82 games.  92-93 was 60 points in 84 games.

I don't mind that the Jets made it, their fanbase deserves a cinderella story.  Too many Flames fans think their team is back to being a perennial powerhouse, which I don't think it is.  This year they seemed to win games despite playing poorly.  Good goaltending, decent defense (not great), and a large amount of luck (higher than average percentage of their shots turned into goals).  These will all probably even out next year for the Flames.

The Oilers, though, are right where they deserve to be based on their play.  Which sucks, because if they were placed according to their theoretical talent rather than their actual body of work, they'd be a good eight spots higher at least.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 10, 2015, 02:35:09 PM
Hmm, I'm mistaken.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edmonton_Oilers_seasons#NHL_.281979.E2.80.93present.29 says 92-93 was worse.  If they lose this weekend, they'll be 61 points in 82 games.  92-93 was 60 points in 84 games.

idk, maybe this season was objectively worse -- wasn't it harder back in 92-93 to earn 60/61 points? (when exactly did the post-regulation extra point possibility come into play?)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 10, 2015, 02:26:16 PM

Yeah, but how 'bout them defending-champion KINGS?  ;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 10, 2015, 02:42:00 PM

idk, maybe this season was objectively worse -- wasn't it harder back in 92-93 to earn 60/61 points? (when exactly did the post-regulation extra point possibility come into play?)

Yeah, but how 'bout them defending-champion KINGS?  ;D

Honestly? I'd watch the Kings over the Flames
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 10, 2015, 02:42:00 PM

That's a good point.  The Bettman point (winner always gets two points, loser in regulation time gets zero points, loser in overtime gets one point) was brought in back in 1999.  In 2005, they brought in the shootout to ensure one team always won.  When they brought in the overtime and the extra point even if you lost, coaches actually ran their teams more conservatively, rather than trying to get the win instead of the tie in regulation time.

I think they should adopt the international hockey system, 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an overtime win, 1 point for an overtime loss, 0 points for a regulation loss.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

...and this is why I'm listening to Baseball
:( Feel so unloved they do...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

In regards to the Flames, I've told my youngest (who likes cheering for the opposite of the Oilers) it's fine to cheer for ABC.

Anyone But Calgary.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 10, 2015, 03:20:43 PM
In regards to the Flames, I've told my youngest (who likes cheering for the opposite of the Oilers) it's fine to cheer for ABC.

Anyone But Calgary.

I may have to give the World's Greatest Dad mug
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Anyone But Calgary.
I agree... it was so hard to be happy last night when they solidified the Jets playoff spot with Calgary's win... It just felt wrong to be happy that Calgary won.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on April 10, 2015, 03:37:46 PM

Anyone But Calgary.
I agree... it was so hard to be happy last night when they solidified the Jets playoff spot with Calgary's win... It just felt wrong to be happy that Calgary won.

U should feel bad, no more TV for 1000 years!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on April 10, 2015, 03:44:04 PM
But but but... I just bought a http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LB5200-led-tv

'sokay, I'll take that off your hands for free.  If you drop it off at my house.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful