Main Menu

FALLOUT 4

Started by Mr. Analog, June 02, 2015, 11:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yowza!  That's a lot of hours you've spent on this game now, hey?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on January 19, 2017, 09:01:45 AM
Yowza!  That's a lot of hours you've spent on this game now, hey?

I feels like a lot but when I looked it was at something like 260 hours (spread out from November 2015), which is way lower than Minecraft overall (that's probably closer to 500 hours (including modpacks like FTB)

I played through the main game twice and the DLC once. There's still a lot I haven't done in terms of quests and world building, I wanted to give Survival mode a try which adds new status effects like thirst, hunger, tiredness, added weight to ammunition / other materials (e.g. fusion cores are now 10 lbs!) It removes other features like quicksave... and saving in general. You have to find a bed you can sleep in to trigger autosave. Tried this out last night, got pretty far along but hadn't gone to bed, then got into some risky situations and paid the price. It's not permadeath but now I have to decide if I want to retrace 2 levels the same way

I kinda want to move onto some other games here soon, see how far I can get in those, looking forward to Dead Rising HD (thanks Tom!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I know right? While I'd love to upgrade I can't justify it now
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 30, 2017, 01:11:13 PM
I know right? While I'd love to upgrade I can't justify it now

Looking deeper I'd have to get a new mobo (I have an ASUS Z87 PRO) in order to upgrade my CPU to the minimum (I have a Core i7 4770K, the board only goes up to 4790K)

FYI some models of 1080 Founder Edition are on sale right now RIP
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Survival mode is interesting, there is a lot more management of resources and being more focused on specific items / skills.

I've noticed that while I play non-survival mode I have a tendency to be a walking swiss army knife, a weapon for every situation, armor / clothes for various tasks. With survival you have to travel light and keep things like food, water and medicine handy.

The no-saving-unless-you-sleep-for-7-hours-in-a-good-bed thing is a bit of a pain in the ass, you can go a long time adventuring and then get caught in an ambush and bite it

Playing on Ultra with all the settings cranked up is pretty amazing tho, I thought the game was good looking before
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I f you decide to upgrade, I'd be willing to take your 980 off your hands for you ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yes... "if" ;-)

I sent a text to Tonnica to see if she wants it, if I don't hear back its yours

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I see fallout shelter is coming to PC/xbone here pretty soon... Always wondered if they could integrate the two somehow - F4 and FS
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

The Vault Tec Workshop DLC is kind of this

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I can say that -so far- even without meeting the CPU requirements the HD textures look amazing

My guess is the CPU will feel the burn when there are more enemies together at higher levels, playing on Survival difficulty seems to reduce enemy counts by default

EXAMPLE: One hit from a radscorpion is a death at lvl 6
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

it's official: Fallout 4 is Bethesda?s most successful game ever
http://www.gamespresso.com/2017/02/fallout-4-bethesdas-successful-game-ever/

Of course I hope this means they'll consider making more DLC and/or use the same engine for more games sooner than later (maybe get Black Isle to do a New Vegas style sequel with the engine?)

Survival Mode Update: This mode is really fun EXCEPT for instance-based quests, good god! In the overworld you can make your way around things without too much hassle, going into an instanced dungeon is nearly suicidal. There will be much grinding before I get back into main story quests...
By Grabthar's Hammer