Main Menu

Oilers 2015-16

Started by Thorin, September 24, 2015, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I know it's early, but did you know that the Oilers thus far have won 6 of their 7 games, and the one they lost went to overtime?

Young Stars tournament in Penticton, 2 wins then the OT loss.  Game against the Golden Bears, clean win.  Then the split squad games against Calgary, where the Oil split evenly best-players-wise, while Calgary kept all their best players at home and sent their B players to Edmonton, Oil beat them both in Calgary and Edmonton.  And then the Oil beat the Jets.

The games have been hard to watch.  Not because of the way the Oilers play, they're doing great.  But they're only available via internet streams, and for some reason much of Alberta is in the blackout zone even though the blackout zone is supposed to be outside Alberta.  Tech guys just can't seem to get geolocating IPs correct, or something.  So we don't seem to be able to get the stream until around the start of the second period, when the tech guys finally figure out how to set their stream up so that we can watch it in and around Edmonton.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

I'm just happy to see them beat the Calgary Flames -- even if just one time at least ;)

I guess this is deserving of A New Thread eh? Perhaps in a few months we will act like That Other Thread never existed... One can hope!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Hmm, there's a Doors lyric that fits the Oilers:

QuoteWell, [they've] been down so Goddamn long
That it looks like up to [the Oilers]

:D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I was at the game last night.  They do seem to be playing better, but I have to confess that the Jets lines weren't anywhere close to normal roster players (both goalies weren't exactly the starters for the Jets).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Darren, no idea what other thread you're referring to.

Mel, damn you for pointing out the obvious!  Yeah, it's not actual NHL teams playing each other yet, lots of AHL-level players still playing as the coaches try to evaluate them.  But come on, six Oilers wins in seven?  When's the last time anyone's been able to say that, 2005?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on September 24, 2015, 11:13:12 AM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/9869953.jpg

If SERIOUS, here's a hint: "OGW:ALS" was the abbreviation for that last season's thread title... and it was the saddest "story" ever.

Mr. Analog

That was last season, this is this season

Hopefully they don't get wrecked this season ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 24, 2015, 12:02:21 PM
Quote from: Thorin on September 24, 2015, 11:13:12 AM

If SERIOUS, here's a hint: "OGW:ALS" was the abbreviation for that last season's thread title... and it was the saddest "story" ever.

I hate when people troll, so you can pretty much assume I'm not trolling.  Ever.  I did not know what thread you were referring to, since I couldn't (can't?) read your mind.

The thread Oilers Got Wrecked was about the 2014-15 season.  This is the 2015-16 season, hence a new thread.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Yes. New thread for a new year.

My point, sorry, was just saying that i HOPE this thread and its reports game-by-game is so awesome that it makes us FORGET that other thread even existed.

But my point was... wrecked.

Seriously, just read my post with the above info in mind.

Quote from: Darren Dirt on September 24, 2015, 10:13:59 AM
I guess this is deserving of A New Thread eh? Perhaps in a few months we will act like That Other Thread never existed... One can hope!

Thorin

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I look forward to cheering for wins for a change, instead of cheering for another tank job to first overall selection.

Although that Auston Matthews kid is looking awful damn good...

And if we're still doing this in 2021, we could try drafting that Aito Iguchi kid from Japan?  https://youtu.be/j30nUTHDFac

Not that I don't have faith in the Oilers' abilty to make it out of the basement.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Eh, don't worry about it, in 2021 they'll be the Las Vegas Bandits and we won't have to worry about it anymore...

:dance:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 24, 2015, 07:28:53 PM
Eh, don't worry about it, in 2021 they'll be the Las Vegas Bandits and we won't have to worry about it anymore...

:dance:
Rofl. Is that when whatshisface agreed to keep them here for? Why would he build a brand new palace here if he was just going to move it? It's not like you could sell it for very much.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

The brand new palace was so that he could stimulate construction around it, where he owned a bunch of land.  Make no mistake, Katz bought the Oilers so that he could use them as leverage to get other business deals closed, he really doesn't give a @%&# how the Oilers are doing.  Until people stop attending, that is.  Then he'll start caring, but only because then other projects might start getting questioned, too.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

So he's just a local version of our own "The Daryl" I guess...

He's making Edmonton great again.

EDIT: wow it's actually the truth!
"...Katz has said he bought the Oilers because he saw Edmonton?s need for a new arena as an opportunity to be the catalyst for the revitalization of Edmonton?s downtown core..." says https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Katz

Thorin

What, you thought I was lying?

Maybe you haven't really gotten to know me yet.  I tend to say things that are true and can be backed up evidence.

For instance, raspberry flavouring in food is actually parts of a beaver's butt.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful