Main Menu

Oilers 2015-16

Started by Thorin, September 24, 2015, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I started putting two and two together when they were just bouncing around the idea of closing the Municipal Airport. The main justification? So that they could remove the flight path and change building restrictions downtown, that got me thinking about who/where/what was involved with "development". The long and the sort of it is there are a bunch of greedy people that are gonna make a fortune off of downtown "redevelopment". Forget about affordable housing needs, forget about redeveloping suburbs, lets build some shiny new buildings downtown (please to forget about all those mostly empty ones we already have)

The bastard even tricked us into playing for half of it!

Two things I know for sure, in time we're going to:
1. Regret not having a municipal airport
2. End up with high density slum where it is now

So yeah, it's a big hot mess built on Edmonton's love for hockey
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on September 25, 2015, 09:24:37 AM
What, you thought I was lying?

No, but I think I was interpreting your words as jsut a strong impression (based on evidence of course) not that it would be a recognized fact (cite-able in Wikipedia). Sometimes powerful people take actions and us "normals" make assumptions (often true!) about what the motives are behind those actions. I was thinking along those lines with this -- because while unlikely it is still possible that a billionaire real estate deal-maker might be successful because he believes in the city in which he is making all them deals. But it sounds like this guy is just like most other developers, he is full of marketing lingo to push his "brand" and make these real estate deals for his own motives, and anything he says about the positive impact on others or the city etc. are just sound bites that get more people on his side (and offer him crazy shared PP partnerships etc.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Good points you make there, Mr. A, and nice summary.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Over all, my impression of that whole mess is that its just been slimy from day one. I honestly don't know how people side with him or the city wrt the location of the new arena, or the closing of the airport.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

dunno if anyone's actually watching games, but the pil went 2 wins and 1 overtime loss at the young stars tournament, then beat the goldenbears, and now have gone 3 wins and 1 overtime win in the preseason.  that puts them at 15 points of 16 possible.  and this last game, in winnipeg, they definitely did not have all the players that will be playing in the nhl on their roster while winnipeg had most of their best players out.

no mcdavid, no eberle, no pouliot, no nuge, and yet they still pulled out a win.

maybe this'll finally be an exciting year of oilers hockey

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I hope so

I'm all caught in late season baseball fever, if the LA Angels lose tonight then the Bluejays clinch a spot in the post season http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/postseason-picture/

I'd love to see the Jays go up against the Yankees again, but if we do make it to the ALCS we're likely to play Kansas City which is gonna be a slog if it happens

FINGERS CROSSED
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

First game that counts, first game of the regular season, is tonight.  Against St Louis, on Sportsnet 360 (channel 231 on Shaw).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 08, 2015, 01:00:56 PM
First game that counts, first game of the regular season, is tonight.  Against St Louis, on Sportsnet 360 (channel 231 on Shaw).

Aww yeah, also the ALDS just started

Turns out I can watch the game 2nite
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Jeebus, they lost 3-1, playing against the St Louis Blues.  The Blues scored all four goals.  None of the supposedly high-skilled big-name forwards managed to get the puck past the Blues' goalie, only one of the Blues defensemen managed to do that.

And yet, and yet...  It was fairly entertaining, watching the little plays.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 08, 2015, 09:15:47 PM
Jeebus, they lost 3-1, playing against the St Louis Blues.  The Blues scored all four goals.  None of the supposedly high-skilled big-name forwards managed to get the puck past the Blues' goalie, only one of the Blues defensemen managed to do that.

And yet, and yet...  It was fairly entertaining, watching the little plays.

ugh yeah, the Jays lost as well, by 2 runs

Hopefully the next couple of games (for both Teams) are better
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 08, 2015, 09:17:46 PM

Got the Blue Jays game on in the background, they're at the top of the 14th, Texas just scored the go-ahead run.  Toronto can still come back and win it in the bottom of the inning, though...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 09, 2015, 03:25:58 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 08, 2015, 09:17:46 PM

Got the Blue Jays game on in the background, they're at the top of the 14th, Texas just scored the go-ahead run.  Toronto can still come back and win it in the bottom of the inning, though...

Yeah, i watched the last 8 innings...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Sooooo I guess the plan is to work toward top pick again?

:badh:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

They are doing that badly already? :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 15, 2015, 10:54:36 PM
They are doing that badly already? :o

We're tied with Columbus for bottom of the league (0-4-0)

Yaaaaa-aaaaaaay NOT (completely) LAST!
By Grabthar's Hammer