Anyone have an ethernet cable tester?

Started by Tom, November 05, 2015, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I actually have a super basic electrical tester. a Cheap $5 job from ebay. But when testing one specific cable that seems to be causing issues on my network (it's installed in a wall and through the crawlspace), it says the actually wires are conducting, so it's pretty useless. The connection also negotiates at GbE, so according to the switches, the cable is "fine" but then one of the switches flips out randomly after the cable has been in use a while.

Basically I wanted to check the cable out before I bothered to replace it, as it would be a pain in the rear to do so.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Well, not totally :P i want to figure out if it's really the cable, or some other quirk. I can't do it with my dumb tester, I'd need a proper smart tester that speaks ethernet. unfortunately they cost hundreds, or many thousands of dollars.

append: so I'm hoping someone here might have one they'd lend me, or test the line for me.

Mr. Analog

Sorry, all I've got is a multimeter, which I'm sure is something you have already
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 06, 2015, 07:45:43 AM
Sorry, all I've got is a multimeter, which I'm sure is something you have already
Yup. And the silly ebay tester i have essentially is just a handier version of using a voltage source and a multimeter ;D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2015, 10:55:44 AM
Yup. And the silly ebay tester i have essentially is just a handier version of using a voltage source and a multimeter ;D

B'oh! I wonder where you can get one for cheap?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 06, 2015, 10:58:58 AM
Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2015, 10:55:44 AM

B'oh! I wonder where you can get one for cheap?
I don't think they make them for cheap. They are a specialized tool for professionals, and they have a price that matches that description. It's ok, things have been stable since i plugged in another cable temporarily (its running down my hallway atm. lol). If it keeps up, I get to crawl under the trailer to re-run a cable or three. (if I run one, I might as well pull 2 or 3 extra)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It's possible that its an intermitent problem, like it got stretched too tight or an animal is munching on it... I might grab some conduit to protect it better under there when i do it... Not sure yet.

Thorin

Why not just run it along the ceiling in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling?  Won't look too bad and much easier to get to...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2015, 01:40:49 PM
Why not just run it along the ceiling in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling?  Won't look too bad and much easier to get to...
I already have a cable run from a modular jack thing down to under the trailer, and up into the spare room. I can likely just use it to fish new ones through. also it'd get in the way of the trim when it gets put up and painted /dark brown/. It just wouldn't fit.