Desktop problems

Started by Tom, May 13, 2016, 05:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Soooo yeahhhh....

I've got this old ass AMD system, that's had its parts upgraded piecemeal for the past several years, so now instead of a Phenom I or II, it's got a FX-8320. I recently saw a great deal on a new motherboard from ASUS that actually has support for modern things like M.2, and USB 3.1 Gen2. This is something that most AMD boards just don't have because amd hasn't released a new CPU in years, and also hasn't released an updated/modern chipset in even /longer/.

The new motherboard was working great so far, then I messed with it to connect the SSDs from my laptop (See the w530 thread), and installed a new 16GB kit of DDR3-1866 ram to replace the older, slower DDR3-1333/1600 ram. Unfortunately after that It started acting up (OF COURSE IT WOULD! ITS MY COMPUTER!). In linux it'd freak out and the gpu would hang and make a weird buzzing noise. I had thought it might be a power issue, so I tried another PSU and still had issues. That ended up partially being a video driver issue, as windows would boot up ok. A different video driver in linux also made it not hang  up the gpu.

Sadly something in that troubleshooting caused /something/ to go wrong, and now memtest completely fails in multicore mode on the new motherboard. Old motherboard doesn't have proper UEFI multicore support, so memtest won't actually use more than one core, so I can't test that. My last test after some more memory tests is to grab my old Phenom II 810, and see if it has issues in the new motherboard (assuming it's still supported). If it has issues, then the motherboard is borked. If it doesn't have issues, then the CPU is borked.

Basically, both my desktop and laptop are out of comission. I do have that old Phenom system still, so if it still works at least I wont be without a computer for work (as this Thinkpad X220 is not workable as an android dev device... I mean i can, but its so agrivating).

Work is also late in paying me, some snafu with their new billing system, so I don't even have money right now to replace anything at all. YAY!
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Sorry to hear that dude!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Running AIDA64's stress test now. Old motherboard is fine so far with a memory stress test. After this runs a while I'll try the new one and see if that works.

Tom

I ended up figuring out that the multicore test mode on that version of memtest is broken, so it was a lot of stress over nothing lol.

Now I have a rock solid stable system, with a motherboard that has some actual modern features, which is nice. But just recently the heat spreaders on my new kit of ram fell or started falling off. Its like the heat somehow caused them to slide up and off the ram sticks. It's weird. Ram works fine mind you.

I twittered Kingston about it and they have already given me an RMA, which is cool. But they use fedex and I can't print out an online waybill, so I actually have to go to a fedex location, of which there are like TWO in edmonton. WTF Fedex.

If anyone is able and willing to give a guy a hand taking this ram to fedex, I'd appreciate it! Some gas money and maybe fastfood in it for you!

Tom

Ok, looks like Kevin, one of my neighbors will give me a lift.