Oilers 2016-17 Season: the Rise of McSavior?

Started by Mr. Analog, October 06, 2016, 09:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Thoughts on giving a 19 year old the "C"?

New Arena, new faces... we face off against Cowtown on Wednesday... are we ready?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Personally, while I can see why they gave him the C, I don't think it was the right move.  I think someone with more experience in NHL games over a few more years might have been a better choice for the C to lead the team in times of crisis or strife.  But hey he could surprise me and turn out to be a great team leader for the Oil. Time and this season will be the teller obviously.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

The starter goalie is good, although he's gonna have a baby soon to take care of, just like Dubnyk did in his last year with the Oil.  The backup goalie is career meh in the NHL and showed some wonky moves in his first Oilers preseason game, he'll have to play better than his own average to help out the new-dad goalie.  The defense is better, unless injuries happen again.  The offense is similar, although more physically intimidating so less likely to just be pushed out of the zone.  I dunno if there'll be a large improvement this year, I really see the large improvement happening in McDavid's third year with the Oilers.  Still, the players that the Oilers currently employ should make for a generally fun game to watch.

I dunno that there's anything wrong with McDavid wearing the C as a 19yo.  McLellan is on record saying that McDavid had a lot of feedback at the year end meetings and was quite outspoken.  Which is what you want from a captain - someone who points out what's missing or being done wrong, then has the skill to show you how to do it correctly, all while staying friendly with all the coworkers.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm ready for a good year of hockey

I also kind of want to check out the new arena

Maybe we can get some seats together and hit a game
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I'm not interested in the new arena at all.  So many other good works could have been done with that money, instead of gifting it to a billionaire.  Also, the Dutch in me can't believe how expensive everything there is.  $20 for a hamburger, $11 for a beer?  That's what I've heard, anyway.

edit: $15 for cheeseburger and fries: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/09/10/crowds-cheer-edmontons-new-arena-as-rogers-place-opens-doors-to-public

Five dollars for a Mars bar.

?We tried ? to find prices that were most fair for the market.?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I figure my tax dollars are paying for it I should at least try it out

@%&#ing 5 bucks for a candy bar?!?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

$5 for a Mars bar that is $1 at the grocery store.
$11 for a Coors Light that is 12 for $24 ($2 each) at a liquor store.
$7 for a slice of pizza, eight slices per pizza, $56 for the whole pizza.  A single cheese or pepperoni pizza, the big ones, are usually $15, so one slice is under $2.
$4 or more for a bottle of water, which is 24 for $6 at a grocery store (so $0.25 per bottle).

Tickets in the lower bowl are $75-$150 if you get them from the Oilers originally.  But many of the games have sold out and now only have resale tickets.  And resale tickets are running $400 to $600 per seat in the lower bowl, some as high as $1,200 (@%&#ing scalpers).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

I've been to the arena for the Oil Kings opener.  Pricing is about what Thorin said, but it may be more at an actual Oilers Game.  I am going tonight so can let you know.

Thorin

What I'm really interested in is what's the security like?  They say no outside drinks and you step through a scanner, but could you tuck a plastic flask into an inside pocket without them finding out?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

While I don't know about that, my Wife did bring in a Water bottle during the Oil Kings game.  She just had to open the lid to let them smell it.  And yes you go through scanners but not as strict as an airport.  They have pictures on the scanners telling you what to take out of pockets, which was really only Keys, Purses, Phones.  Rest could stay in.

Melbosa

Man what a Schedule both Oil and Jets have in November.  Crazy jammed month!

Mr. Analog

Man, last night's game, as the article says "the 'new' Edmonton Oilers looked a lot like the old Edmonton Oilers Sunday"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/old-habits-haunt-new-oilers-deserved-loss/

That dump in goal against Talbot was embarrassing...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 17, 2016, 10:22:37 AM
Man, last night's game, as the article says "the 'new' Edmonton Oilers looked a lot like the old Edmonton Oilers Sunday"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/old-habits-haunt-new-oilers-deserved-loss/

That dump in goal against Talbot was embarrassing...

Yeah, how hard is it to square up against a puck, for @%&#'s sake?  Goalies are supposed to stop pucks with layers.  Stop it with the stick, with a pad or glove behind whenever possible.  Catch it with the glove with the body behind it if possible.  He did this stupid knees-to-the-right-lean-to-the-left because he thought he's cool and can do that, instead of following the proper goalie protocol on a save like that: glove in front of the belly button, knees together and square to the puck.

In the first period they had one exciting chance about a minute in, and then it was like they didn't really give a rats ass. I get losing due to an unlucky bounce or a good snipe, but man, the way they were playing I was surprised it didn't end 8-2.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm scared guys, I think we might have a hockey team on our hands this year...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2016, 08:37:26 AM
I'm scared guys, I think we might have a hockey team on our hands this year...
Don't jinx it! Just keep assuming its a bunch of todlers fighting over who gets the puck.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!