Oilers 2016-17 Season: the Rise of McSavior?

Started by Mr. Analog, October 06, 2016, 09:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

@%&# me, I shouldn't have said anything...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Aye... you should have kept it to yourself.  Draisaitl spearing?  I can't see the game right now but going to have to watch that highlight.  How many games is that he gets?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Also did they get a record broke from regular season - is that 7 penalties I see with the 10m and 5m to Draisaitl?

Melbosa

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Just to keep perspective - last year the season was done by December and there was no hope of playoffs.  This year, we're getting upset that the team is tied 2-2 in the first round of the playoffs.  They went from 70 points to 103 points, 44 more goals for and 33 less goals against, the first time they've won more games than lost in the regular season since MacTavish was coach (the 08/09 season).

Of course all us Oiler fans want to see the team go deep into the playoffs, all the way to the Stanley Cup, that's the passion in us speaking.  But viewing the team's strengths and weaknesses and current situation, it is impressive that they're in the playoffs and are hanging in against last year's second place (nearly won the cup) team.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

While I know a lot of Oiler fans that are upset, I'm more on the same lines of thinking as you say Thorin.  It is quite an improvement and accomplishment where they are now.  But that being said, they almost clenched 1st in their division so while they are a young team and inexperienced compared to San Jose's veteran depth for playoff play, they do have the potential to step up their game to be true contenders.  It wasn't by fluke they finished where they were in the regular season.

And I know people can say the Play-offs are a brand new game, but again its the same players from the regular season for all teams, so its not like there was a roster change or refresh (excluding calling ups here), so if they had the potential for 1st in the division, they damn well have the potential for a second or third round in the play-offs IMO.

So while I'm happy how they have done and am truly impressed where they are at, I am hopeful we'll see them back in game 5 ready to play!

Mr. Analog

I know a lot of "fans" who jumped on the bandwagon are whining on social media, I also know we've tied a series that last year we couldn't have dreamed of

#GoOilers
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, bandwagonners galore, but that's fine.  The more the merrier!  I've been a fan long enough to have an obscure jersey from 2008 (Sanderson, it's signed and it came from a fundraiser for one of my kids' sports teams).

teams that have more playoff wins than the Oilers this year (5): Ducks, Blues, Predators, Senators, Penguins
teams that have the same number of playoff wins as the Oilers this year (5): Maple Leafs, Sharks, Rangers, Capitals, Canadiens
teams that have less playoff wins than the Oilers this year (19): Wild, Blue Jackets, Bruins, Blackhawks, Flames, Avalanche, Canucks, Coyotes, Devils, Flyers, Hurricanes, Islanders, Jets, Kings, Lightning, Panthers, Red Wings, Sabres, Stars

God damn I want to see Anton Lander sub in for David Desharnais, though.  That Davidson-for-Desharnais trade, I don't understand that at all.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah no kidding, I question that trade big time.

Either way we play game 5 tonight 8:30! Gonna be a good un
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Real World MelbosaFor @%&#'s Sake Jones let one in already!

And then he did.... /CalmMelbosa once again.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Wow, everyone questioning the Davidson-for-Desharnais trade yesterday before the game, calling for Lander to be put in the line-up instead, and then Desharnais sets up the tying goal and scores the OT winner.  Good on him.

Now they get two chances at getting to the next round.

My entire family, including my ten year old, was up and watching this game.  We tried sending our ten year old to bed at 9:30 since it was a school night, but around 11 he quietly wandered back out to the living room.  So we gave in and let him finish watching the game, thinking it'd be over right away.

And man, the Oilers completely owned that overtime.  Like, the Sharks weren't even trying to shoot, they were just hoping to clear the puck and change.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I am super stocked for next game

Who would have thought we might have a chance at 2nd round!
By Grabthar's Hammer