Oilers 2016-17 Season: the Rise of McSavior?

Started by Mr. Analog, October 06, 2016, 09:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

BEST OILERS OVERTIME PERIOD I HAVE EVER WITNESSED.

So one-sided, was yelling at the screen why didn't you guys play this hard during regulation time! :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Best overtime I can remember was game 3 of the 06 western semifinals between San Jose and Edmonton.  Edmonton had snuck into the playoffs on a late surge by Roloson, getting the eighth spot and then knocking first-place Detroit out in the quarterfinals.  In game 3 of the semifinals, with my 9yo, 6yo, 5yo, and heavily pregnant wife all watching, they went into OT.  They ended up going to a third OT period and Horcoff finally scored the game winner.  That was the turnaround for the series, as the Sharks had won the first two games and then the Oilers won the next four straight.  All my kids were up past midnight watching that game, and the big talk was, "Aren't they hungry?  What are they going to eat?"  Geebus, that game had us on the edge of our couch for three hours straight!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I remember that game, at the time it was pretty warm out for spring and so many folks in my old apartment had their windows opened. When the goal was scored you could hear the cheering throughout the building... good times :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 21, 2017, 03:32:00 PM
I remember that game, at the time it was pretty warm out for spring and so many folks in my old apartment had their windows opened. When the goal was scored you could hear the cheering throughout the building... good times :)
Wasn't that also the one that lots of people didn't see as they thought the game was over in the first OT?  Or am I thinking the bouncing puck over the stick and Oil recovery for the tieing goal game?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

You're thinking Patrik Stefan's Career Defining Missed Open Net: https://youtu.be/9bBns6ZUn0U
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on April 21, 2017, 06:14:11 PM
You're thinking Patrik Stefan's Career Defining Missed Open Net: https://youtu.be/9bBns6ZUn0U
yeah so that was the night half of Edmonton stopped watching and people the next day had no idea we won.

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on April 21, 2017, 06:48:03 PM
Quote from: Thorin on April 21, 2017, 06:14:11 PM

yeah so that was the night half of Edmonton stopped watching and people the next day had no idea we won.

Nope, the Oil lost it in a shootout so didn't win the game.  But people had given up on the game and started heading home early because the Stars were looking good enough to close it out.  I mean, the Oilers were up 4-1 and then Dallas scored four in a row to make it 5-4, and then the Oilers were playing pretty poorly for the last several minutes; a pretty typical they're-not-trying-anymore kinda game that you wouldn't miss anything if you left ten minutes early.  And then, all of a sudden, as they're driving home, OVERTIME ON THE RADIO!  Which, truth be told, was pretty exciting overtime as well.  The Oilers got such a shot in the arm from tying it up with two seconds to go that they came out full force for the next five minutes.  I remember Turco having to stand on his head to get to the shootout.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

So yeah then it was the 3 periods of OT one that half of Edmonton didn't know it keep going.

Mr. Analog

What a win tonight!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 23, 2017, 12:24:58 AM
What a win tonight!

Same old same old - close out the 3rd with the lead and an empty netter :)

...I was listening to the last 5 minutes on the radio coming back from Superstore. Sounds like the rest of the game was intense?

Mr. Analog

Last night's game was great!

Tough first and second period and then the floodgates opened in the third.

To win the first game of the series in the opposing team's barn is really something
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 27, 2017, 07:59:23 AM
To win the first game of the series in the opposing team's barn is really something
Agreed... just lets hope its nothing like Series 1 against the Sharks!