Big Data = Big HTML Tables = BIG PROBLEM?

Started by Darren Dirt, January 13, 2017, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Slow to first display? Slow to scroll through?

WOW this simple idea so well executed = SOLVES this problem (try out the "demo", just keep clicking and observe/test)
https://clusterize.js.org/

via http://blog.nrowegt.com/get-rails-data-to-glass-quicker-with-clusterize-js-coffeescript/

Cliffs: do Inspect Element at the very "top" or "bottom" of the visible section of the Clusterized table -- KEY seems to be this: <tr class="clusterize-extra-row clusterize-bottom-space" style="height: 160950px;"></tr> [or similar] #GetIt?

Seriously, this is one of those "holy @%&#, I can't believe the difference" web developer moments. And the success of this "outside the box" approach to thinking about a problem could maybe open your brain to other ways of optimizing stuff in the future...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Yeah, that's pretty neat.  They only put table rows in the table for the data that should be visible, then add a row at the top and bottom with the same height that all the invisible rows would add up to, so that the scrollbar shows the right size.  Any rows that get scrolled out of view get removed from the table.

Another way to solve this problem is to just not have 500,000 or even 5,000 items in a dropdown list.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I have customers who want to see thousands of items in one grid display, SQL handles it trivially the challenge for me is streaming that much data via EF and then binding THAT to ViewModel object THEN loading that into the Telerik grid technically "works" but is pretty slow.

TBH I will never understand the business case for seeing this much content outside the scope of an actual report, which there are better (server side) tools for.

Anyway this is pretty cool, thanks for sharing!
By Grabthar's Hammer