Getting the D&D Itch

Started by Melbosa, September 12, 2017, 03:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I've been coming up with a new campaign and world setting that I would love to explore with a D&D group again.  Its been too long since I've played in a regular group and am really wanting to start one up again.  Would there be interest in us starting up again?  Thinking D&D 5E this time, and may wish to explore using the descriptive combat system rather than the tactic traditional grid system.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I've also had the bug for a while but I don't know if I want to buy into yet another core system unless I know it's gonna be a regular thing

PHB is $35 CDN at Amazon rn
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I have all the materials both physically and digitally, so I wouldn't expect anyone to need to purchase at all, or as you think you might want to later.  We are all vets of D&D and while 5E has changed a bit of what we are all used to, I think you can pick it up very easily without needin' all the books or even the PHB right off the hop.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 12, 2017, 04:17:57 PM
I have all the materials both physically and digitally, so I wouldn't expect anyone to need to purchase at all, or as you think you might want to later.  We are all vets of D&D and while 5E has changed a bit of what we are all used to, I think you can pick it up very easily without needin' all the books or even the PHB right off the hop.

You don't understand I like having the books.

If we did bi-weekly on roll20 or even Discord I'd be game for that shizz
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I was hoping for a more in person night myself :D.  But we can try the distance thing again... its just that I'd like to see you guys too :D.

Thorin

I definitely want to play.  I'm fine with buying the 5e material, but like having it electronically as well.  Narrative combat, you mean like described here?  (also see tyranny of the grid)  I'm definitely up for narrative combat, it's what D&D used to be like in the old days.

I would much prefer in-person (it is as much about socializing as about leveling the character) and at least every second week.  Do you know of anyone else interested?  I remember you mentioned a while ago you were trying D&D with some neophytes...  Just thinking two players might be a small group (Mr. Analog and me, haven't heard in this thread from Tom yet).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I like in person but if it's going to be 4-8 weeks between games I'm less inclined.

(I need structure :) )

A bi-weekly meetup would kick @%&#ing ass AND we get to play D&D.

I'm going to buy a copy of the 5e PHB - so ... GET ON IT
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Alright.  So Wednesday Nights is the very best and maybe only option for me, but I can commit to bi-weekly Wednesday nights for sure!  I am trying to find others to join us, but not sure if I can so if you guys have any suggestions of others as well that is fine.

Mr. Analog

What party size does the 5e DMG suggest? How many people from RW could commit to this schedule?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 13, 2017, 10:40:59 AM
What party size does the 5e DMG suggest? How many people from RW could commit to this schedule?
DMG suggests 3-5 players.

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on September 12, 2017, 09:13:03 PM
I definitely want to play.  I'm fine with buying the 5e material, but like having it electronically as well.  Narrative combat, you mean like described here?  (also see tyranny of the grid)  I'm definitely up for narrative combat, it's what D&D used to be like in the old days.
Yes, and your links are exactly what I was talking about (and some links I have ready already)

Quote from: Thorin on September 12, 2017, 09:13:03 PMI would much prefer in-person (it is as much about socializing as about leveling the character) and at least every second week.  Do you know of anyone else interested?  I remember you mentioned a while ago you were trying D&D with some neophytes...  Just thinking two players might be a small group (Mr. Analog and me, haven't heard in this thread from Tom yet).
I hope Tom can join us... would be great to have the gang back together.  Also would prefer up to 2 more players to make a well flesh out group.

Thorin

I'm in for every second Wednesday. In person, right?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on September 13, 2017, 11:27:12 AM
For me that is fine, Mr. A?

Tom

If we can keep it regular and in person, I am totally in.

My schedules are quite a bit more filled in, and often they get filled in with family stuff on short notice, but I'll do my best!
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on September 13, 2017, 11:34:29 AM
Quote from: Thorin on September 13, 2017, 11:27:12 AM
For me that is fine, Mr. A?

I'm in. My 5e PHB will be coming in the mail tomorrow (Thanks Amazon Prime, Thime.)
By Grabthar's Hammer